Chapter 26

"I see your true colors
Shining through
I see your true colors
And that's why I love you
So don't be afraid to let them show
Your true colors
True colors are beautiful
Like a rainbow

- "True Colors" by Justin Timberlake and Anna Kendrick

Chapter 26

Harald and I surveyed Hobblegrunt Island from the sky before descending. Randel and Cason had come alone on Cason's dragon. Harald had said nothing the entire trip, and I was unsure if I should break the silence. I was happy he decided to speak to his father, but I knew it still must be hard for him, so I wanted to give him the space he needed.

We landed several yards away from the man and boy and walked the rest of the distance. We stopped just short of Randel and Cason. They gave us a hard stare, which Harald returned. Figuring it was up to me to speak, I cleared my throat and said, "Thank you for meeting with us. It's good to see you, Cason." I smiled at the boy, but he glared at the ground.

"No, it's not," he mumbled. "I got you banished and almost got you killed."

"But she didn't die," Harald said in a steady voice, "and neither did I. Do you know why?"

Cason frowned at him. "You're incredibly lucky?"

"No. We relied on bonds formed with other Vikings and with dragons. We are not alone, and you don't need to be either, Cason. You should join us."

Cason's eyes widened in surprise. "You want me to join you? But you were right about me the whole time. I was a spy."

Harald's eyes flickered to Turbo. "But you have also formed a bond with a dragon. That means you have potential to be one of us. You do not have to live like this. You have a choice."

When Cason appeared hesitant, Randel pushed him back with his arm and glared at Harald. "Enough of this," he growled. "I thought we were here to discuss the treasure."

Harald looked at him with the calmest expression I had ever seen on him around his father. "The offer is not for him alone. We want you to join us as well."

Now Randel appeared surprised. "Join you? Is this some kind of trick?" He looked around anxiously as if expecting Vikings to jump out at him.

"It's no trick," I said. "The purpose of searching for the treasure is to unite four opposing tribes. Right now, we have united three. We are asking you to work with us so we can all find the treasure together as intended. We will split whatever we find four ways, and you may choose to distribute your portion as you wish."

"If you do not want peace after that, it is up to you," Harald added. "We're simply requesting a truce until the treasure is obtained. There is no reason for unnecessary bloodshed."

Randel's eyes narrowed at his son. "And how am I supposed to trust you?"

Harald shrugged. "The same way we're supposed to trust you. We have no ill will towards you or your crew. We just want the treasure like you, and we're willing to share."

"I don't share."

"And do you think Toki shares? You do realize he's using you, don't you? He will turn on you as soon as he gets his hands on the treasure."

"I can deal with him!"

"He wouldn't do that!" Cason protested.

"I wouldn't underestimate him," Harald said. "He swindled me and my whole village... and he's the reason my mother is dead."

Cason glared at him. "That's not true! It was your fault!"

Randel appeared less certain. "How do you know?" he asked his son. "Just because it happened after he betrayed you-"