Chapter 10

"When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes
It's where my demons hide

Don't get too close
It's dark inside
It's where my demons hide

- "Demons" by Imagine Dragons

Chapter 10

"Remember to keep your guard up," Harald said to the group of dragon riders. "I wouldn't put it past Toki to cross us." He stood in the center of New Berk while he explained his plan to publicly get Toki and himself on our side. The new month had begun, and the first snowflakes had already fallen.

"A few of us should stay behind just in case," Hiccup said.

While the chief organized the groups, I walked up to Harald. "How are you doing?" I asked tentatively. I knew this could not be easy for him, and I wanted to help him.

"I'm fine," Harald said. "I need to get this over with." His expression was hard, telling me he did not want to discuss it.

I nodded. "Right." Act first, deal with the consequences later.

"We're ready to go if you are," Hiccup said upon his return.

Harald made his way over to Elska. He hesitated for a second before mounting the dragon. "Let's go!" he said. I followed him in the air on Bolt, and Hiccup led the other riders behind us.

We flew in silence for quite awhile. I knew we were approaching the correct island when I saw the Tempest docked on the side. Smaller ships littered the opposite coast, but there was no sign of Randel's ship. I wondered if this was intentional on Harald's part. I bet he wanted to avoid as much contact with his father as possible.

Harald took us down low and flew through the trees. Finally, we reached a clearing where Toki and Stormheart stood on opposite sides, both with a small group of pirates. We landed before them. All eyes were on us as we dismounted our dragons.

"Harald," Stormheart snapped, "what's going on? Why are you with that dragon?"

"She's my dragon," Harald said smoothly. Leopold made a small sound from his shoulder. "My riding dragon." I stood beside him, and he grabbed my hand. Stormheart's eyes narrowed into slits.

"I see you are not aware of the circumstances," Toki said much more cheerfully than the situation called for. "Let me explain." He strode forward and stood between Stormheart and Harald. "Your right hand man is finally ready to come clean about his secret life. You see his secret dragon, secret girlfriend, secret-" he paused, looking over the dragon riders, "-whatever the rest of you are." He shook his head and looked back at Stormheart. "In any case, he has decided he prefers that life better than what you can offer him."

Stormheart turned her hard gaze on Harald. "Is this true?"

"Yes," Harald said with a hint of defiance."It's true."

"And what's with the middleman? Were you too afraid to face me yourself?"

"No, I was thinking practically. I saw an opportunity, and I took it."

"Ah, let me explain," Toki said. He placed a hand on Harald's shoulder. Harald tensed, and I squeezed his hand reassuringly. "Harald has made me an offer I can't refuse. He holds the map, and while I could find a way to get it from him, it's much easier if we work together. Besides, Berk holds the key to the treasure with its vast amount of dragon knowledge, and I have enough of a force of mine to not need yours, Nikora."

Stormheart glared at him. "You two brought me here just so you could tell me you no longer need my services?"

Toki smiled. "That is correct. I hope you understand." He finally left Harald and returned to his men.