9. Life's But A Dream

The Artist:

And just like that he was gone…

I opened my eyes and sombre grey was the only colour all around.

The world began to fill in my senses as my world stood empty without him. The crushing crumbling wailing that was raging inside me effectively immixed with the noise around and life suddenly felt disturbing.

I walked back to the car, my mind repeating his smiles, his gaze, his light giggles and the touch of his hands on a loop while I felt my chest tighten.  No matter how many times I tried to sigh it out, the heavy feeling just won’t budge.

“Are you home?” I called Jimin up needing to talk to someone, I just can’t manage to go back to the studio right now.

“Tae…? What’s wrong?” His voice was confused and half in sleep.

“Nothing’s wrong” I tried to put a little chuckle to ease his mind “I am coming over in a while”

“It’s 8 in the morning…what’s gotten into you now?” He literally whined against my words but stopped abruptly when I spoke.

“Chim……he left” I gulped the odd empty feeling clogging my senses, the words were like a lash upon my skin and the silence on the other end made me realize he knew what was going through me as well.

“I’m making your favourite pancakes, don’t be late” he spoke, whines and grogginess instantly flushing away from his voice and I smiled. This is why he is my best friend.

And over breakfast we spoke about all that had happened in the last few days, and about my decision to leave Vienna once and for all.

“Wow…so you’re really serious about this huh?” He said placing another pancake in my plate.

“I am…I have decided to sell the studio, get the stuff shipped to Seoul as soon as possible-“ “Have you really thought this through Tae? I mean I understand that you like him but isn’t this whole thing a bit too hasty? You barely even know him…” concern filled his gaze as he waited for my reply.

Thought it through? What’s there to even think? Even the very thought of him makes me want to hold him close and love him some more, I’d never be able to look at Jin without loving him… 

“Well, I guess that’s what it is…I don’t need to think, I just…need him”  I am in love with the bits of him I have come to know, it’s just so natural, even talking about him makes feel so happy and anxious to see him again.

“So, you’re just gonna give up everything you had planned to do here? What about the Art School you wanted to open?” He was just being thoughtful I guess, but if only he could see what Jin and I have, it’s not something you stumble upon everyday…too good to let go..

“I need him to keep up painting…Chim, I have been dangerously affected by him” I laughed at my own words, and instinctively the memory of him kissing me so needily at the airport flashed through my head “I am just hoping he needs me just as much”

“That’s what worries me, but if it’s what you want then I am with you… I will miss you though” his voice got smaller as he spoke and I smiled going over to engulf him into a hug “I’m gonna miss you too”

I told him about how I had promised Jin to go to him, and how delighted he had been, showed him the letter I had stuffed in my pocket in a haste while he laughed about how ridiculous I looked because of the way I was dressed right now.

“You went to the airport in your pyjamas?!” He cackled listening to how I had lost my mind on waking up to an empty bed and had unmindfully pulled on a coat deciding to head out.