20. Young and Beautiful

The Dreamer:

“What else?”

“I think we got everything” I spoke trying to remember the grocery list we had prepared at breakfast in the morning but forgot to take it when we left in a hurry to start our day.

Usual mistakes…harmless mistakes…

My eyes fall on a cake…strawberry and vanilla. I have developed quite the sweet craving since the beginning of my pregnancy but then I debate on it…been putting on too much weight and it’s not too good either. So, I choose to amble ahead, trying to not think about how good it’d taste…how it’d be the perfect midnight dessert…or a little snack whenever I feel hangry.

We get to the billing counter and I sigh seeing the queue there, it’s already been a long day and November nights are rather chilly. I shuffle closer to Tae, leaning on him as I see an incoming call light up the screen of his phone.

“It’s your mum” he informs and I hastily check to see my own phone, realizing only then that the battery had died. He picks up the call, smiling to himself as he answered her usual questions and nods assuring her common concerns, forgetting that she can’t really see us before he hands me the device.

[“You’re phone’s off…how are you?”]

“I’m fine mum…the battery died, we still haven’t gotten home…will charge as soon as I reach” I speak my eyes staying on Tae as he puts the stuff on the billing counter, and I smile to myself when I catch him placing the cake I had eyed earlier.

And this is why he is who he is…many would call that romantic, I call it his way of saying he cares…he cares enough to know what I don’t say.

[“It’s freezing outside…dear lord you’re gonna fall sick Jin and you’re already six months along…be careful-”]

“Mum I just said I’m fine…so’s the baby, don’t worry…things are going well…how are you all doing? Did dad stop that idiot from buying that sports bike he’s been going on about? That’s a racing grade vehicle…he’s gonna end up in a hospital with that!”

I felt Tae weave his fingers with mine the moment we stepped out of the store as he tugged me to follow along while I stayed busy on the call.

He does it as just another normal thing, whenever I’m on call on the road or maybe distracted with something else, I feel his fingers thread with mine as he quietly ensures to keep me from bumping into dangers, guiding me along to safety so that I don’t go astray and I instinctively let him every time, knowing I’d trust him just like this to keep me safe…always.

I guess this is how we trust the people we chose to keep close…with every small action they do to prove they care, with every gesture they show towards paying a little attention towards us because after all we don’t really seek extravagant love…what we truly seek is someone who would take the time to try to understand us... show through their intentions that they care.

I am not sure if people would call me too simplistic…or if one would call my simplistic need the result of being unloved for years...but to me a heart who is kind enough to want to honestly understand another is rare…to me that would be the best gift one could give me…

My fingers tighten on his as I finish with the call and scoot closer to his side, pressing my head a little to his shoulder as a smile involuntarily breaks on my lips because I fail to keep my happiness within bounds to know I am truly lucky to have that someone.

“Are you cold?” He guesses as he turns to see me pressing myself to his side and I shake my head.

“No…I’m great” the smile on my lips goes wider as I stare at him as we walk down the sidewalk towards our home “thank you.”