14. To Sing For You

The Dreamer:

“JinJin! Heyo! Jinnie!” A woman’s voice flooded my home as her heels clicked on the wooden floorboards. “I got some wonderful news for you darling! Come out…come out wherever you are!”

Her voice was way too high pitched to appreciate first thing in the morning but that’s just who my manager is, upbeat and always high on life.

I tugged the blankets over my ear as she barged into the room, my mum following close behind her, equally excited to hear the news.

“Wakey wakey sweetie! I got the results of the audition for the first round of the Music Fest!”

“Oh dear! Is he through?” My mum chimed by her side. Yeah, I was totally freaking out and wide awake as well…I mean it’s obvious after how hard I had been working to get through. These days I literally do nothing other than eat, sleep n play the piano…and dream.

But acted unbothered as I lay unmoving. I’m scared I’d fail in acquiring what I wished for again.

I heard her shuffle and crawl on the bed “Dear Seokjin-ssi, this is to inform you that your performance in the first round had bewitched us and we are looking forward to seeing you in the second round as well!”

My mother gave an excited laugh and Solar reciprocated her excitement.

“We’re going to the next round sweetie! Get up and start practicing!” She screamed pulling back my covers and I lay stripped off of my only way to hide the glee bubbling within me.

“I made it to the second round?” I asked again stupidly smiling at her.

“It’s only a matter of time till your gonna make it to the top sweetie! Trust me! You’re amazing!” She ruffled my hair as I sat up, and mum called us down for breakfast.

I’m not sure how three months passed away so easily, seems like yesterday when I had barely began working for a small band of musicians, helping them out in local performances but had to soon leave because being pregnant it was getting difficult for me to keep up with their odd schedules which would mostly be night shows or concerts over towns.

But it was because of them Solar found me and urged me to carry on with my dream promising to help me out as my manager, or I guess was lucky to come across her, it’s been a different kind of journey since then.

My parents went out of their way to get me an actual piano, although it barely fits in the living room, and Kook helped to set it in, oddly acting like the perfect brother suddenly as he got his music teacher to help me out whenever I had trouble with a note, made me entire playlists of my favourites and had even driven me to the audition when I was too nervous to even go.

“Ok so you got this already” Solar assured again as we sat for breakfast “you keep doing what you’ve been doing, the only other thing you gotta do is actually one teeny tiny little new addition” she spoke chomping on a piece of bacon.

“What?” I asked being slightly terrified.

“It’s nothing, you just gotta write a song to go with the note you want to play” she said the words as if it’s a piece of gum that I gotta chew on n spit!

I choked “what?! Write a song?! I can’t write a song!”

“Of course you can! You just think you can’t because you haven’t tried it!” She assured patting my back “just put whatever you feel on a paper, and be true to yourself…that’s it.”

Didn’t sound very assuring but I guess I could give it a try.

“Wait” then it clicked “I’ll have to sing too, isn’t it?”