Survive

Chloe and I were looking at the costumes from the past. Particularly what people assume was the second Robin's first costume. I have just one thing to say. Where are his PANTS! People can't just run around in underwear, let alone underwear that tight! I can't even say it was socially acceptable back then! It really wasn't.

I was in the middle of resisting the urge to punch the mannequin wearing the monstrosity when the alarm went off. I swear if it's the Riddler again, I will literally kill him. I can't just have one normal day, can I? I sigh heavily as Chloe grabs my hand and starts trying to drag me out of the museum.

There were flaws in her plan, big ones. I wasn't prepared enough to get a good grip on her hand and we were going through a tight panicking crowd. Unsurprisingly, my hand slipped from hers; I couldn't help the fear from rising. What if she got hurt or worse killed and I wasn't there to stop it?

"CHLOE!" I called into the noisy room. Just as I felt a hand grasp my shoulder a gunshot fire off. My heart stops as I turn around to see Alya standing there, her face flushed with barely controlled anger.

"It's time for your punishment, Dupain-Cheng. You have to learn that your actions have consequences."

See, this was one of the worst effects of having Hawkmoths around for so long. All of Paris has become desensitized to fear and death. Our situation has also made Parisons more confident and willing to do anything to get what they want. They think they're invincible. It doesn't matter when, where, or what's going on they'll risk their lives to get what they want.

"Alya, I promise that I'll let you beat me up as much as you want. After all this is over! We're in serious danger! Let's just leave! Please."

"Hah! You think a gun can take me down? I've been kidnapped by an Egyptian God before! Nice try, though." She shrugs and tightens her grip on my hand as he pulls me away from the rest of the people exiting.

"Alya! This isn't Paris! These people have guns and we don't have Ladybug! She can't revive you if you die!" I try desperately to reason with her, "You're not untouchable here."

Her eyes blaze with unrestrained hatred, "Don't tell me what I am or am not. At least I'm not a pathetic liar." I flinch violently at the insult.

"This isn't about me, Alya." I look up at her with tears in my eyes, "It never was."

She swiftly kicks my legs out from under me and jumps on top of me. Gripping my shirt tightly she raises her hand and throws a punch hitting my eye painfully. I cry out trying my best not to make a noise. Really regretting the training I gave her as Ladybug when she was Rena Rouge.

Clap.    .       .   Clap.   .    .    Clap.     .      .

Slowly we turn to stare at who I recognize as the Penguin. Damn it. This isn't good. The first rule when fighting an enemy is to never show weakness. One of the strongest villains in Gotham just watched me get punched in the face without doing anything to stop it. Fuck.

"Well, not that this hasn't been amusing to watch, but I'm afraid I'm looking for the young lady you're on top of." He points his umbrella at Alya, pressing a button to allow a knife to slide out of the tip, mere centimeters away from her face. Alya slowly gets up a glare on her face.

"This doesn't concern you. Mind your own business." Shit, she did not just say that to someone pointing a knife at her! Who am I kidding, she totally did.

He clicks his tongue in disapproval, "No, dearie, I think you're mistaken. This doesn't concern you. Now leave before I change my mind and stab you." She gulps at the serious glint in his eyes and quickly scrambles away.

He looks down at me with disdain, "Now this can't be right, word on the street is that you beat the riddler at his own game." He tilts his head thoughtfully, "How is it that someone that can face the Riddler head-on was pinned down and beat up by some teenager with anger issues?"

I get up steadily ignoring the pain in my eye looking directly at him with my good eye. "I didn't fight back, Mr. Penguin, Sir." I read that he's more formal than the other villains, better safe than sorry.

"Hmmm, then maybe you're not as smart as people say."  He sighs dramatically, "Henchmen, take care of this pathetic excuse of a human. This was a disgusting waste of my time." He starts to back away as his henchmen move forward.

"Woah! Hold up. Mr. Penguin, excuse me for my rudeness, but don't you think you're being too rash? You don't know the situation, or why I didn't fight back. I assure you I am agonizingly aware that I could have won in a fight with her." I'm trying to sound as formal as I can, and I must say, I think I'm doing a pretty good job of it.

Why am I the only one here? Surely Batman knows Penguin is here by now?

"Little girl, are you insulting my judgment?" He asks cautiously as if he couldn't believe I would dare do such a thing.

"No. Of course not, all I'm saying is that you weren't aware enough of the situation to fully grasp why I didn't fight back." I say as reassuring as possible. He raises his hand and the henchmen immediately freeze and stop advancing.

"If I'm lacking the correct amount of information, then I'm sure you will have no problem filling me in, right?"

"Of course Mr. Penguin." I take a deep breath, "Alya, the one you saw, used to be my best friend years ago. That's not the reason I didn't stand up for myself. I couldn't care less about our past relationships, but if I had fought back I would've been expelled from school. I take my education very seriously and my parents can't afford to send me to a different school."

He gives me an odd look, "She wouldn't be the one expelled?"

"No."

"It seems I've misjudged you, my apologies. Unfortunately, you're still unlikely to survive. I'll give you the chance to prove yourself. Fight one of my henchmen and each time you beat one the next round I'll add another one into the fight. If you make it to round ten and are able to defeat ten of my henchmen all at once I'll let you go free." His eyes glint psychotically as he backs away and a henchman walks forward.

I take a deep breath, okay. Okay. I've got this. I just have to hold out until Batman or the Robins show up. I'll be fine.

I watch my opponent closely as we circle each other. Suddenly he's running at me, I quickly move out of the way. He's impatient. Probably gets frustrated easily. Weakness number one. Through my years as Ladybug, I've realized that everyone has at least three weaknesses. All of which can be exploited.

He runs at me again, this time with a fist raised. He's at least a foot and a half taller than me, but I'm able to duck to the side at the last moment. Weakness number two, he favors his right hand over his left.

It goes back and forth like this for a while, him running at me and me dodging. I'm more than a little ashamed to say it took me this long to realize his 3rd weakness. He's slow.

Now that I have my three, I know I can successfully take him down. He runs at me again, roaring out of anger at having all of his attempts dodged. I abruptly run towards him, ducking under the fist, grabbing the left arm he neglects to use, quickly I  lift my knee and tug him down. Effectively smashing his face into my knee. He staggers back with blood dripping from his nose.

While he's dazed I punch him in the neck with my left hand and the chin with my right. Knocking him out instantaneously.

He falls to the ground with a thud, "looks like this may be more interesting than I originally thought." I hear Penguin say from behind me.

Authors note
Jeez, sorry this one took so long, I hope you enjoy it! And remember comments are always appreciated! I read every single one!