Five

"Sammy. Thank god. Hey."

"Ow. Uh, Dean..."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, man. I'm just... I'm just happy to see you up and around, that's all. Come on. Sit down. Okay?"

"Dean... what happened to me?"

"Well, what do you remember?"

"I-I saw you and Bobby, and... I felt this pain, this sharp pain like... like, white hot, you know, and... then you started running at me, and... that's about it."

"Yeah, that- that kid stabbed you in the back. You lost a lot of blood. It was touch and go for a while."

"But, Dean, you- you can't patch up a wound that bad."

"No, Bobby could. Who was that kid, anyway?"

"His name's Jake. Did you get him?"

"No, he disappeared into the woods."

Jake walks in among the graves towards the crypt. Dean, Sam, Ellen and Bobby appear from their hiding places and pull guns on him. Jake looks at Sam, shocked.

"Howdy, Jake."

"Wait... you were dead. I killed you."

"Yeah? Well, next time, finish the job."

"I did. I cut clean through your spinal cord, man. You can't be alive. You can't be."

They watch as Jake puts the Colt in a strange rotating lock on the crypt. Sam gets his gun back and shoots Jake, repeatedly. Behind them the lock is opening, and Bobby explains it's a Hellgate. Dean tugs the Colt from the spinning lock and they take cover. The iron gate is broken by force and the demons start flying out and finally leave the cemetery.

Bobby, Ellen and Sam try to close the gate but Dean spots the yellow-eyed demon and tries to shoot him. The demon takes the gun away using his powers and it flies into his hand. He then tosses Dean into a headstone and pins him there. Sam sees what's happening and runs for his brother, but the demon pins him to a tree.

The demon proceeds to thank Dean for bringing Sam back, he explains that demons can't resurrect someone unless a deal was made- "I know. Red tape. It'll make you nuts." The demon uses his powers to draw the Colt to him and shoot Dean. Suddenly, John's spirit appears from behind and grabs the demon from his body. The demon quickly overpowers John and returns to his body only to find Dean has gotten his hands on the Colt. Dean shoots the stunned demon in the heart, finally killing him and avenging his mother and father.

Behind them, Bobby and Ellen finally manage to close the devil's gate. John's spirit walks forward and places a hand on Dean's shoulder. He also nods to Sam with tears in his eyes, with a smile on his face, and then he vanishes in a bright light.

They all stand around, stunned.

"Do you really think dad really... do you really think he climbed out of hell?"

"The door was open. If anyone's stubborn enough to do it... it would be him."

"Where do you think he is now?"

"I don't know."

"I kind of can't believe it, Dean. I mean... our whole lives, everything... has been prepping for this, and now I... I kind of don't know what to say."

"I do. That was for our mom... you son of a bitch."

Later in the Impala, after Dean confessed to making a deal to bring back Sam, one of the phones in the dash starts ringing. Sam looks through several phones, picking up one of their father's, and flips it open to answer. Dean listens, as he drives.

"Hello?" Sam's face scrunches up in utter confusion, as he listens to the man speak on the other side of the phone, "Yes. Okay. Yes. Thank you. We'll be there."

"What?" Dean asks, watching Sam put the phone away, "Sam, who was it?"

"Someone named Sheriff Tom," Sam tells him, "From Montana."

"What'd he say?" Dean asks, remembering what he promised his father back in the hospital.

"He wants us to meet with him at his PD, said he was working with dad."

Much to Sam's protests, Dean makes a U-turn, heading to the small town.

Sam pulls out his own cell phone, calling Bobby and giving him an update. Dean drives the whole night. He prays, let this be good news.

~ SUPERNATURAL ~

Sam and Dean stand in Sheriff Tom's office, watching as he closes the door, and introduces himself, "How's your dad doing?"

Sam looks at Dean, clearing his throat, as they both take seats.

"Geez." Tom's shocked, as he sits down behind his desk, "I'm sorry. I, uh... I had to reach out, or try to."

"On the phone, you said that you and our dad worked together on a case?" Sam says, kickstarting their conversation.

"Yeah. He, uh, came here almost three years ago, stayed a while, told me he was a cop... which I found out was a lie," Tom unlocked a drawer on his desk, pulling out a manila folder, "After I learned who he really was, and why he was really here... well, we worked together... looking into unsolved, cold cases."

Sam and Dean looked over the folder, passing photos back and forth.

"This sounds insane- actually, it probably won't to you two, but, we had a guy in custody recently... he swore there were missing people, kids... underground somewhere. Said they were being trained to do things. Taught them how to track people... used them as weapons... using electricity as torture, apparently." Tom pointed towards the file, "Your father wrote it all out in detail for you. I filled in the blanks as best I could when he left. I'm stumped. I don't know what to do or how to do it from here. Figured this was up your alley. You're the professionals in this... stuff."

"No offense, but why didn't he just give this to us?" Sam asks.

"He was here investigating, looking for this Zoey Jones, I assume. I found her poster in his motel room. I didn't call you here because of that file."

"Then why did you call us?" Dean asks, tense.

"Yesterday, things started happening around here." Tom held up a CD containing security camera footage, "I think, we just captured Zoey Jones running through the woods on this."

They stay, investigating, searching with Tom all around the town in Montana. They don't find anything. No lead, no sight of anyone else seeing the girl on camera, and their hope is burned out. Eventually, they have to start hunting again and leave Montana.

Zoey's on the back of their minds while they continue to hunt, capture all the demons that escaped through hell's gate.