Thirty

"Yeah, we do the whole airplane thing with the spoon? When was the last time you ate?"

"I- I don't..."

"Days, Sam. It's been three days."

"When'd you get that?"

"When you started throwing off heat waves. Here."

"Enough, Dean. Please."

"The bloody handkerchiefs, the fever, the shaky legs... this is not good."

"Well, I'm not good. And I'm not going to be good until we can start moving again. Until I can start the third trial."

"Trial? I wouldn't let you start a moped. We're on the rails with this thing, okay, and the only way out of it is through it, believe me, I know. And you know how bad I wanna slam the door on all those sons of bitches. But you gotta let me take care of you, man. You gotta let me help you get your strength back."

"This isn't a cold. Or a fever, or whatever it is you're supposed to feed. This is part of it all. Those first two trials... they're not just things I did. They're doing something to me. They're changing me, Dean."

It's been 3 days since the girls showed up at the Sheriff's. Jody's enjoying their company. She knows Zoey hasn't had any contact with Sam or Dean, but she discretely tells Dean that they're fine and squashes any of his fears with them gone. Most of their days are spent showing the teen amazon how to load and unload a weapon, Zoey tells her all about the lore she learned from Bobby, and tells her childhood stories about the boys. Emma doesn't talk much, she's shy still (who could blame her), and she's glued to Zoey's side, even sleeps next to her in the same bed. Jody can also see the affects of purgatory on Zoey. She's more alert, all the comfort from the brothers, and the comfort that came with time was gone. It was like she came back from the dead and was just trying to figure out how to exist too.

"Get off!"

"Take it easy, Sam. Hey, whoa, whoa, whoa, take it easy, take it... Found you on the floor, passed out, your temperature was a 107. I had to force it down or you were toast."

"He's here, Dean. Metatron is here, I know it, I can hear him."

"What're you talking about?"

"All I know is that I'm connected to it somehow."

"What, like you got a link to him, like a prophet?"

"I don't know! I just know he's here. Metatron is here."

"Okay, "here" where?"

"I can show you. I can show you. The manager. He was delivering books to him."

"Books?"

"Books. Hardcovers, paperbacks, novels- books."

"Stories."

She's worried about Sam, just as much as Dean is, wondering what the trials are doing to him. Now that Zoey thinks of it, the last time she saw Sam he looked exhausted and thin. She wants to call them, but forces herself not to as she knows they're busy hunting and tracking down Cas. She decides against it and puts her phone away.

"Did you call them?"

Emma's soft voice startles her. Zoey turns towards the door and shakes her head, "No. They're, uh, busy."

"Sheriff Mills is making dinner."

"Okay." Zoey smiles at the girl, chuckling, "You can call her Jody, Emma. None of that ma'am stuff either, said it makes her feel old."