Thirty Two

"Aw, are you kidding me? Hey, dick move, pigeon!"

"Screw you, asshat."

"Wait a minute. Can I hear all animals?"

"Yep. Animals have a universal language- like Esperanto. But this one actually caught on."

"And I'm just getting started, too. Brewing a real big one. Ha. Bet your ride's gonna look sweet in white."

"What's he saying?"

"You- he's being a douchebag!"

"Who you calling "douchebag," douchebag?"

"Oh, shut it, you winged rat!"

"Dude. Hey. Just calm down. Just get in the car."

"Ha ha. That's right, Sally. Go cry to mama."

"Oh, that's it, you son of a bitch!"

"Dean! Get in the car."

Zoey laughed for a week straight when Sam called her and dished on a recent hunt that ended up with Dean being able to communicate with animals and even acting like a dog. She remembers trying to hold back her laughter when Sam called with Dean yelling at him in the background as he fought his little brother for the phone. When she did talk to Dean about it, he completely denied it all and claimed Sam's tales were all exaggerated lies.

She heard from Dean that Cas was currently working at a Gas-N-Sip in Idaho.

The next time she heard from them, Dean was taking a stroll down memory lane while helping the owner of a boys school that he once attended.

"So, what was that all about, 'Dee-dawg'?"

"You remember when we were kids that spring in upstate New York? Dad was on a rugaru hunt. We, uh- we crashed at the, uh ... the bungalow colony with the ping-pong table?"

"Yeah. Uh, y-you disappeared. Dad came back. You were gone. He shipped me off to Bobby's for a couple months and went and... found you. You were lost on a hunt or something."

"That's what we told you."

"I'm sorry? That's what you told me?"

"Truth is, uh… I lost the food money that Dad left for us in a card game. I knew you'd get hungry, so... I tried taking the five-finger discount at the local market and got busted. I wasn't on a hunt. They sent me to a boys' home."

"A boys' home, like a … reform school?"

"Yeah, more or less. It was a farm, and the guy who ran it- Sonny- he, uh, you know, he looked after me."

"Wait. Does Sonny know what we do?"

"Yeah. He's good people. I gave him the number to the Bat Phone, and sounds like he's got something in our wheelhouse. So... Hey- you gonna be cool to do this, or are you too tired?"

"Uh, no. Yeah, I'm just, uh... I'll be fine."

"And everybody's okay with… heading out to the Catskills?"

"I am everybody."

"Yeah. Right. All right. Grab your stuff, and we'll head out."

"Hey, Dean... I mean, why didn't you just tell me you went to a boys' home?"

"I don't know. Uh, it was Dad's idea. And then it just- you know, the story became the story. I was 16."

~ SUPERNATURAL ~