Twenty Eight

"I don't know about you, but this last year has given me a new perspective."

"I hear you. Believe me."

"I know where I'm at my best, and that is right here, driving down crazy street next to you."

"Makes sense."

"Yes, it does. Or... maybe you don't need me. I mean, maybe you're at your best hacking and slicing your way through all the world's crap alone, not having to explain yourself to anybody."

"Yeah, that makes sense, seeing as I have so many other brothers I can talk to about this stuff."

"Look, I'm not saying I'm bailing on you. I'm just saying make room for the possibility that we want different things. I mean, I want my time to count for something."

"So, what we do doesn't count?"

Zoey learned that Dean and Sam don't exist in this world because they were never born. Mary refused the deal with Azazel and John wasn't resurrected. Because of this, Earth was being destroyed, humans were dying at high numbers, and the victorious archangel Michael, now known as "Genghis Khan," was the supreme ruler of the universe. Derek, Sasha, Hope, and Joel took her in and kept her safe while trying to figure out just how and why she ended up here. Meanwhile, back home, Dean and Sam check in on Kevin's mother.

"I caught wind of a case on this police scanner. Sounds like our kind of thing."

"I wasn't even gone ten minutes."

"Okay. That matters why?"

"I don't know, Dean. How about because you haven't said a word to me since Prentiss Island? And now, what? You want me to shut up and ride shotgun and act like nothing happened?"

"You want to talk about Benny? Fine. Let's talk."

"Okay. How about he's a vampire?"

"He's also the reason I'm topside and not roasting on a spit in Purgatory. Anything else?"

"Don't pretend I don't get it. I know you had to do what you had to down there."

"I highly doubt you get anything about Purgatory."

"But you're out now, and Benny's still breathing. Why?"

"He's my friend, Sam."

"And what about my friend, Amy? She was what? 'Cause you sure as hell didn't have a problem ganking her."

"Well, I guess people change, don't they? We let that werewolf Kate go, didn't we?"

"She was different. She- you think Benny's different? He tell you he's not drinking live blood, or something? And you believe him. Wow. Okay. You know, you're right. People do change."

"Yeah. I got a vampire buddy, and you turn your phone off for a year."

"Don't turn this on me."

"Look, Benny slips up and some other hunter turns his lights out, so be it."

"But it's not gonna be you, right?"

The brothers continue investigating, taking on a case with a string of unusual murders where the victims were all recipients of organs from the same donor. When Dean asks for a personal day, to help Benny out, things become even more complicated between he and Sam.

While hunting with the group that took her in, Zoey eyes the giant angel blade like things that protrude from the ground. Bodies are impailed on them. Time runs different here. She notices that the nights seem longer than the days. The symbol on her wrist hasn't burned since she arrived in this alternate universe. She wonders what it all truly means.