Fifteen

The next day, the smell of cleaner is strong in the air as Zoey heads downstairs. She stares at the shining floorboards and turns to see Bobby behind his desk. Her mind goes blank as she takes in his attire. Before either of them can get out a word, the kitchen door is opened, and a woman steps out. She wipes her hands on the apron, smiling, "You must be Zoey. It's so nice to meet you. I'm Karen."

Zoey smiles, caught off guard. She shoots Bobby a glance before shaking the woman's hand, "Karen, nice to meet you too. I'm sorry. I didn't know Bobby had company."

"Oh, I hope we didn't wake you. Bobby and I tried to tidy up as quietly as we could." Karen explains with a smile.

"No. No. I slept fine." Zoey chuckles, "Well, you two probably wanna be alone-"

"Actually, Bobby says you enjoy baking." Karen points back to the kitchen, "I'm actually making some dough for dinner. It's kind of a two person recipe."

"Sure." Zoey nods, following her into the kitchen. She sees all the flour and ingredients spread out, heading for the sink.

After washing her hands, she turns to Karen, "I've never seen Bobby without his signature hat."

"Well, he always tried when I'm around." Karen laughs, grabbing the rolling pin and instructing Zoey on what she needs help with.

"I'm sorry, uh..." Zoey looks down at the counter in confusion, "What do you mean 'always?'"

"Well, for as long as I've known him." Karen answers, measuring out spices, "You're not allergic to anything here, right?"

"Uh... no." Zoey shakes her head before chuckling, "So, how long have you two been dating?"

"Dating?" Karen laughs, "Sweetheart, we're married."

"M-Married?" Zoey stutters, "Oh."

"Bobby, it's just... there's a case less than five miles from your house."

"What, the- the Benny Sutton thing? That's what this is about?"

"You knew about this?"

"Hell, yes. I checked into it already. There's nothing here."

"Except a witness who saw a dead guy commit murder."

"What witness? Digger Wells?"

"Yeah. So?"

"So, he's a drunk."

"Well, what about the lightning storms? They look like omens."

"Except in February in South Dakota in storm season. Guys, I thought it was something, too. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

"So who killed the guy?"

"Take your pick. This Benny Sutton guy was a grade a son of a bitch. There's a list of the living a year long wouldn't mind putting a cap in his ass."

"So, you're telling us... nothing?"

"Sorry. Looks like you wasted a tank of gas on this one."

"Great."

Zoey catches Sam and Dean before they leave Bobby's. She smiles at them, surprising Sam when she hugs him, "Hi."

"How are you feeling?" Dean asks, wrapping his arms around her after accepting her hug.

"Good." Zoey nods, "Just wanted to let you know that I'm okay. And about the whole Lucifer thing- I was being stupid and I probably freaked you out so... I'm sorry."