Chapter 48

Mia

"And this, this seemingly simple and insignificant moment - It's everything but. Because we both know how hard he fought to get here, to get to the point where he can embrace me with genuine happiness and shoot me a smile that makes the world stop every damn time..."

PRESENT

There are moments in life that make you forget you about all the struggles you've faced. It's usually the small, seemingly so insignificant gestures that make you leave all that pain behind. It's fascinating, really, that such simple things can change your life.

But sometimes those simple things aren't as simple as they seem.

The pure joy sparkling in Lincoln's eyes when he steps out of Dr. Avian's office, the broad grin on his face when he realizes I'm already waiting for him with my motorcycle, it's everything to me. It's just what he is; he is everything to me. He gives me everything I could ever dream of.

And this, this seemingly simple and insignificant moment... It's everything but. Because we both know how hard he fought to get here, to get to the point where he can embrace me with genuine happiness and shoot me a smile that makes the world stop every damn time...

"Hey, handsome." I grin when he steps toward me, but that grin is immediately washed off my lips when he cups my face with his hands, his lips coming down on mine with an almost desperate force. I hold on to him, trying not to throw my bike over in the aftermath of his attack, both of us stumbling against it from the collision of our bodies.

But Lincoln doesn't care, there's something urgent, starving, about this kiss. As always, I feel both our hearts thunder in our chests, creating a tornado of love and passion right in the non-existent space between our bodies. "Link..."

My protest is too late though, and before I can stop it from happening I feel how my Big Lady gets pushed over, the impact of hard metal on the pavement causing a deafening crash in the entire street.

"Lincoln!" I slap his chest before I push him away, suddenly being more worried about my motorcycle than anything else. He just laughs as he walks around, helping me lift her up from the street with an apologetic smile on his face.

"Well, I'm sorry, somehow... But not really?"

I slap him on the arm with my helmet, his laughter erupting around us as he pulls me into his arms, the bike now between the two of us. "Okay, okay." He presses a kiss on my lips. "Sorry."

And then he just attacks me again, shamelessly devours me in the middle of this street like he didn't just throw my bike over by doing just that... But I can't even protest, he just feels too good, his lips on mine feel like coming home and being shot into space at the same time. Every damn time...

"Is everything okay?" A familiar voice sounds from right behind me, and Lincoln suddenly pulls back, his eyes wide when he looks at the building entrance behind my back.

"Oh, yes, sorry..."

A faint blush creeps into his cheeks, and my jaw drops to the floor from that movement alone. "Now you're blushing?! Really, Lincoln?!"

But when I turn around, I realize just why exactly he was blushing, although I honestly can't help but laugh when I see the expression on Dr. Avian's face as she takes in the scene in front of her.

"Wow..." she just says, shaking her head in amusement when she sees Lincoln and me together. "That surely explains a lot."

The smirk that plays on her lips makes me laugh and I just shrug, taking Lincoln's hand behind me when I see how flustered he is right now. "How are you doing, Dr. Avian?" I ask, trying to get this situation under control again.