eleven

Leaving Fred again that night was painful. I could not stay though, as I knew Draco would not survive on his own out there.

"You alright?" He asked as we sat on the roof watching nature continue its life, as if the whole world wasnt falling apart slowing at its seams.

"I'm fine." I mumbled, shoving my hands deeper into my pockets.

"Doesn't seem like it." Draco mumbled after, tossing a rock off the roof. I watched it fall out of my sight, and heard the patter of it hitting the ground.

"I assure you, Malfoy, I'm doing great." I rolled my eyes, picking up my things and making my way back to my room to write to Fred.

"You don't have to run off every time I ask about you." Draco called from behind me as he followed me down the winding staircase.

"You don't have to ask." I shrugged, opening my door when I get to it.
"Octavia. Don't shut me out. Tell me how it went with Fred." He pushed in behind me, closing the door with his foot.
"He was understanding." I told him, unable to tell him what actually happened with the Order.
"That's all?" He raised his eyebrows.
"Yes, Draco. That's all." I sighed.
"Whatever." He grumbled before storming off to god knows where. I took this time alone to write to Fred.

Dear Fred
I do surely miss you. It's very lonely here at the manor and I'd like to talk to you about pulling a Yellow Sparrow some time soon.

Yellow Sparrow was code for sneaking somewhere, because these days you never knew who was seeing your mail.

Please write back soon, I'll be waiting for your reply.

With all my love.
Octavia Black

I sealed it quickly and sent it out with window with the owl. She would get there soon, and I expected Fred's reply by nightfall.

Dinner, as always, was awkward. No one spoke until Lucius did.
"The Dark Lord wishes to meet with you." He said very vaguely for no reason.
"Who?" Draco and I responded at the same time.
"Both of you." Narcissa half smiled at us, reaching to squeeze my hand.
"Alright." I was the only one of us to answer, and I mustered up just enough fake confidence to act like this was alright.
"Maybe let her do the talking, Draco. You can't speak a word without sweating like a mudblood." Lucius scoffed, and no one responded to that.

In fact, no one talked at all until Lucius told us he was ready for us. We nodded, following him into the room and taking a seat at the table. Snape stood in the corner, watching us both carefully.
"You swear your loyalty to me, did you not?" Voldemort leaned right down in Dracos face, and I swear I almost saw him pass out.
"I do." He stammered, because Voldemort turned and got in my face as well, asking the same of me.
"Of course, Dark Lord." I bowed my head in front of him, and finally took a breath when my face was hidden. However, I almost stopped breathing entirely when he placed his hand on the top of my head softly.
"You see, she knows the rules. She believes them. I suggest you start to do the same Draco." He spoke, dismissing both of us, but not before pressing his wand into our marks to remind us of the pain.

As I had suspected, Fred wasted no time replying and there was an owl at my window when I came back from the meeting.

My love

I'd be happy to yank some strings and complete a Yellow Sparrow for you. Just say the word. I know I saw you this morning but it feels like forever when I'm not with you. I hope you sleep well, darling. Talk more later.

With all my love
Frederick Weasley

His words gave me hope that I would be alright, and with that I went to sleep.

Fred was wrong though, I wouldn't sleep well. I hadn't slept a single full night since moving into the manor. So again, I woke up screaming and sweating, Draco sitting on the edge of my bed watching to see if I would calm down.

It was then, I saw Draco for the first time. Him and his ruffled hair, and his caring eyes. I realized just how much he had been through, with even more to come, and I started crying buckets in an instant.
"Hey, don't cry, it's okay." Draco whispered, pulling me into a hug.
"I- I can't- it won't go away." I sobbed into his chest.
"What won't go away?" He asked when I stopped crying but I couldn't respond. I couldn't say it out loud.
"Tell me, Vi." He continued, making me look at him.
"He's going to kill us." I whisper, looking away from him once again.
"No, that's not going to happen, Octavia." He tried to assure me.
"You don't know that." I said coldly, pulling away from his touch.
"I'd like to be left alone now." I announced after the room was silent for a few minutes, and Draco stood from the bed quickly and made his way out.

My head swirled with emotions, enough to make me sufficiently dizzy, and I had to lay back down to calm my nerves. I regretted telling Draco to leave, because this house, even though it was merely that - a house - scared me to my core. Someone was bound to always be listening. Always. It was like the house knew what you were scared of and manifested it in your sleep. This wasnt a home, and Draco never explained it like that. It was a house. Brick walls, concrete floors, foundation and all. Just a house.

"Just a house." I assured myself one more time, out loud for good luck, before drifting slowly off to sleep.