Chapter-1

"Papa story sunaao na, neend nai aari", Pihu screeched pulling his father up from the couch.

Pihu was a sweet little girl, 7 years old, and was the only child of Sidharth Ahuja who worked as an accountant,a managing director,in a well-established company. He was a 34 year old man, heavily built, wheatish in complexion and had an enticing prospect.

Not annoying his little girl, Sidharth gave in and crawled into bed, pulling up the quilt for both of them, scooting back , leaning against the headboard. He pulled his daughter's tiny body into his arms and took out a novel from the side drawer which read "Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. Pihu was fond of ghost stories and Christmas being her favorite eve, she nodded her head in excitement when Sidharth gave a questioning look to her, holding the book.

He smiled and started reciting the story.

"Since you ask me what I
wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at
Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to
support the establishments I have mentioned-they cost enough; and
those who are badly off must go there."
"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it,
and decrease the surplus population. Besides-excuse me-I don't
know that."
"But you might know it," observed the gentleman.
"It's not my business," Scrooge returned.

Before Sidharth could explain these lines to her, Pihu interrupted him, "Papa, vo uncle poor logo ki help kyu nai karna chahty? Aap toh bolty ho ki jo hamse help maangy, hame unki help karni chahiye, lekin Scrooge toh dusre uncle ko daant rahe hai, jab unhone request ki", her eyes were innocently looking at Sidharth, demanding an answer from him.

He could not stop smiling at her innocence and quickly kissed her forehead.
"Sweetheart, all people are not same in this world. Kuch log ache hoty hai aur kuch bure bhi. Ab jis reason se Scrooge ne unhe daanta, vo toh galat tha na and obviously hame poor ya needy logo ki help karni chahiye because that's what makes us a good human being", he explained her while she was listening him very carefully.

"Ohh.... ", she exclaimed understanding his words or rather trying to do so.

He chuckled at her puzzled expression and said, " It's too late now, go to sleep bacha. Kal school bhi jana hai".

"No, mamma ka birthday hai 15 minutes mai. I'll wish her and sleep", Pihu nonchalantly said.

And that was it! Sidharth felt bile rising up his throat. It was his dead wife's 30th birthday!
.
It's not that he didn't remembered this special day but he never wanted to show himself weak in front of his daughter. Ever since Naina left them, he kept himself stern in front of Pihu and never let her witness his emotional breakdowns. But now, as Pihu was growing up he needed to be much more aware of this kid.

He was lost in his thoughts and just then Pihu cupped his face pulling him out of his memories. Sidharth simled at her, a painful one, and she sweetly smiled him backed.
"Mamma ko kya gift dengy? " ,Pihu muttered.
They always prepared something special for Naina, be it a heartwarming card, her favorite meal or just steered to Marine Drive watching sunset. This was something which Naina loved way too much. Before Pihu was born they visited this place, strolled together and visited the Art Deco buildings dotting the area. He loved to spend time in the places which Naina was fond of.
Sidharth saw the clock , only 5minutes were left. His eyes were already welling with tears, it was his soul's, his first love, his other half's day. He was not in a state to answer anyone but just let go and ...be in that moment, with her.