Chapter 27: The Present

Tomike's hands slowly rubbed against the beaded lace fabric on her lap as she tried to rub off the sweat on her palm. She was uncomfortable and it was quite obvious. She needed to smoke to calm herself, but she couldn't. The crowd at the funeral was growing by the minute, people were everywhere and the last thing she wanted to do was smoke in public, especially not at Iya Bose's burial.

But she needed to be alone, she felt herself going crazy, she didn't want to see half the people there. What was worse, people were dancing, eating and having fun, 'celebrating' Iya Bose's life. She couldn't understand if they were really mourning her death, or just happy that she died. It was weird to Tomike all that was happening.

Just then Ivie came and took her hand, "come with me" she whispered to Tomike. She took her to the backyard. No one was there. There were dirty pots and plates scattered around, along with the residue smell of firewood and food.

"Jeez Tomi, relax. What's up with you, you looked like you were being choked"

Tomike found it harder to breathe now, her lungs were failing her and she felt choked indeed.

"Sweetheart calm down let me get you some water"

She watched her friend as she attempted running into the house to get water, and how her body bounced inside her well fitted ankara dress. It was the same ankara almost everyone at the party was wearing, the aso ebi for the event.

In the midst of her choking, Tomike couldn't help but think how much bigger her friend had become, afterall it wasn't easy having a child and not doing so. She would know this because she had also struggled with getting rid of her baby fat after she had Dayo.

Ivie was soon back with a bottle of water. She took a few drops in her hand and splashed it on Tomike's face before handing her the bottle to drink.

"You'll ruin my make-up" Tomike protested.

"And you are still talking, come on drink the water!"

Tomike obeyed. Ivie had always had an authoritative personality, she was the one person, apart from Iya Bose, who could freely boss Tomike around.

"Do you feel much better? "She asked after Tomike had downed half the bottle.

"Yes, yes" she actually did feel better. The water her friend splashed on her face helped.

Ivie sighed heavily as she held Tomike in a warm embrace.

"Tomi, I know you miss her. I know no one can understand how much you miss her, not even her kids. She was your second chance at having a mother and it must really hurt that she's gone. But know this my love, she is in a much better place. She doesn't feel the pain anymore."

"How sure are we that she is not still in pain, we can't be certain of that" tears were now coming down her eyes.

"Of course she's no longer in pain, her body gave her pain and now she is no longer with it, I'm pretty sure she's chilling in heaven with God."

The two chuckled, and Ivie let go of Tomike. She looked at her and held her face.

"See you, hard girl, hard girl but you are crying upandan" they both laughed again.

"Ivie, please can you get me my blue purse, it's in my room. I don't want to go upstairs."

"Okay, sure. I'll be your maid for today"

"Thank you"

After what seemed like hours to Tomike, she was back with the purse.

"Kai! What took you so long now?"

"Are you kidding? You don't even want to know the amount of people I have greeted. Plus everyone is looking for you especially Aunty Bose."

"Wo, aunty Bose will be fine if she doesn't find me"

Tomike after collecting the purse from her friend opens it and takes out a pack of cigarette and a lighter. She lit herself a stick.

"I should have known, of course this is what you wanted" Ivie said, shaking her head in dissapointment.

"It calms me"

"Calm my ass, this is what that your yeye boyfriend did to you, now you're too hung up on it to quite"

"King was not a yeye boyfriend and you know it"

"Abegi, is it because he spent money on you and dragged you to travel on vacations with him"

"No, he was just a good boyfriend"

"Says the girl who was blinded by money"

"Jeez Ivie, how was I blinded by money? I really did love him, and he loved me too. Funny thing is I saw him recently"

"When? Here in Nigeria or while you were out?" Ivie now grabbed a stool and sat.

"I saw him in the hospital the first day I went to see Iya Bose. He's married and his wife is pregnant"

"What a wawu! You don't mean it?" Ivie laughed, clapping her hands. When she stopped, she folded her hands and looked at Tomike a certain way, her brow raised.

"What?" Tomike asked.

"How did that make you feel?"

"I felt fine, I was a little excited to see him but that was it. I'm happy for him"

"You sure?"

"Yes Ivi, I'm sure"

"Okay oo. Cos I was there when you guys were making plans for the future, it's not always easy to move on after that"

"But I did"

"Alright"

When Tomike finished the cigarette she was smoking, she decided she was ready to face the world again. So with her hand in Ivie's they walked back to the party in the front yard.

She sighted Bose stomping towards her, and recalled Ivie had told her she was looking for her. She threw a mint chewing gum into her mouth and quickly went towards her aunty.

"Tomike, we have been looking for you"

"Sorry Aunty"

"Many people have been asking of you ooo. But anyways there is one in particular, you have a visitor. He is over there"

Bose pointed to a tall figure a few feet from where they stood. He was turned to his back but Tomike knew exactly who it was. Then she heard Ivie gasp and let out a
"Oh my God!"

Ankara- African wax print, common clothing material especially used in west Africa.
Aso ebi- literally means cloth for the family. It's a common material worn by family and friends at a wedding 
Kai- an exclamation
Wo- see
Yeye- stupid
Abegi- please

**********
Chai, it's not been easy and at a point I kinda lost the handle of what exactly I was writing, but I can say I'm back on track now. I really wanted to update on Friday but I couldn't. I want to make it a thing now, updating every Friday without fail. What do you think? At least with that I won't be able to go MIA on you guys for weeks.
Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter. You know what to do, vote comment and share!
Xoxo💕
Val 💖