Epilogue

The view here is breathtaking, very beautiful. The sea stretches for miles and the water reflects the rising sun. The cool morning breeze is refreshing and makes me feel excited about my day.

It's been ten years since I've been here, ten years since Iya Bose left us. I'm glad that after so long I finally got the courage to come back to Lagos. Javier played a big part in me coming back here, he really wanted to see where I come from and after avoiding the topic for so long, I finally decided to come.

We traveled to Mexico to see his extended family at least once a year, and it was only fair we visited Lagos. I love Culiacán and Javier said he wanted to fall in love with Lagos too, even though I told him that is not possible. Lagos is far too rough and rugged, but he didn't care.

Speak of the devil. I can hear him in the bathroom, he's up.

I walk back inside the room to say good morning to my husband.

"Good morning babe. You should have slept a bit more, yesterday was really stressful"

"Good morning mi amor. I'm jetlagged, I barely got any sleep"

"Sorry babe"

"I was going to come enjoy the view with you on the balcony"

"I'm bored of it already"

"Well that's sad" he comes over to give me a kiss. "Because I can't get enough of it"

He walks over to the balcony and I reach for my phone on the lamp stand and settle down on the bed. There are a few messages, I instinctively click on Dayo's. Most of his messages are pictures of his trip to Barcelona with his friends. And then a message at the bottom which reads: I'm back in New York mom. How was your flight?

I reply him.

It went okay. Just that Javier and I are tired and jetlagged. You really had a lot of fun. I'm glad you got to let off some steam, you work too hard. I'll let you know if there's any update. Love you. And please Dayo, get some rest before you resume work.

"Dayo is back in New York!"

"Really? That's great. I still think he should have come with us, would have been fun"

"He visited last year, plus he really wanted to travel with his guys"

"Yeah, I know. Anyways, can we get ready already. I'm eager to explore the city"

"Sure" Tomike groaned. "Even though I'd rather stay in bed all day"

                             *************

"Hey grandma. It's been forever. I've missed you so much. Dayo is doing really good these days,  you'd be absolutely proud of him. He's working as a nurse in the big apple, as opposed to being a mechanic in Boston which he originally wanted" I chuckle. "I'm glad he changed his mind. Just imagine our Dayo, a mechanic... Naaa"

"I wish you were here. I wish you were able to meet Javier, you would have loved him. He's a doctor. So now we have a nurse and a doctor in the family" I can't help it anymore, the tears start falling freely.

"I'm doing alright, thank God. I'm finally doing alright"

"Do I get an introduction or what?" Javier walks up to where I'm kneeling by Iya Bose's grave.

"Of course you do. Here Grandma, the man I told you about, oko mi, Dr Javier Veracruz. And Javier, meet my grandma, the woman who loved me like her own and laboured over me. She's the reason I am here and I owe her a lot"

"Nice to meet you ma'am"

I'm too overwhelmed and I start to cry. Javier holds me in a warm hug.

"It's alright" he whispers.

After I'm much calmer he asks me if I'm good, and we get going. As we drive out of Iya Bose's compound, I know in my heart that i would never be back here again.  There is nothing left for me in this place I once called home, only memories I'd cherish forever.

"I'd like to go see her" I tell Javier.

"You're sure?"

"Yes"

"Well that's good, I get to see your Alma mater, The University of Lagos"

"You're excited hun?"

"Very"

I send her a text to let her know I'd be coming. Soon we drive into the school gate, and i text her again to let her know I'm here.

"Hello Folake, how are you?"

"I'm good ma, I'm doing really good" she's grining from ear to ear and I'm not sure why. Does she think me a celebrity or something?

"That's good to hear"

"I can't believe that after five years I finally get to meet you. It feels great"

I smile.

"Can I hug you? That is if you don't mind?"

I'm taken aback by her request, but I agree nonetheless.

"Can we sit?" I feel my legs cramping up.

"Sure" she leads me to one of the wooden benches in the garden. Students are everywhere chatting away and just being young. I can't help but feel a bit nostalgic.

"So how's school?"

"It's good great ma"

"Please drop the 'ma' Fola, I've told you this before.. Tomi is just fine"

"I'd prefer Aunty Tomi actually, you're far older"

"If you insist. Are you enjoying studying law?"

"Very much, i really feel like this is what I was made to do. And this year is my last, I'm excited about law school"

"And your business?"

"Great, really great. Returns this month alone have been hitting the roof"

"That's good. Well I'll be on my way" I stand to leave.

"Already?"

"Yes Fola. My husband is waiting for me"

"Oh. Will i see you again?"

I smile without saying a word and I'm certain she got the message. As i turn to walk away, she grabs on to my hand.

"Thank you. Thank you for seeking me out and paying my way through school. Thank you for believing in me even when I had lost hope in myself. Thank you. And once again, I'm really sorry for all the horrible things my father did to you"

"My regards to your mom and sister" She lets go of my hand.

"They'll hear" she says with a sunken face.

"Goodbye"

That is all I needed to do, tie up lose ends.
Javier wants to have a feel of Lagos so we'll be here for a couple of days, but as for me I had done all I needed to do in Lagos.

My heart was at peace. I had settled the scores. How different I am now from that Tomike. And like Iya Bose had taught me to say "It's God, it's all God. Thank you Jesus"

I am grateful.

                             ************
It's over!
Wow!
I'm just happy to finish this book right in time for the new month. Happy New Month guys, I love you!
Thank you for supporting, for reading, for voting, for sharing. I've got a new book out, you should also check it out.
Alright... Bye!
See you in the next one.
Xoxo Val❤️