Chapter 44: The Past

The room was dimly lit as none of the light bulbs were on. The only source of light was the sun, which was setting quickly, hiding behind the horizon.

Iya Bose was back home and everyone waited in silence for the inevitable, except Tomike.

"Omo mi, come closer" Iya Bose called out to a sleepy Tomike.

"Ma?" she tried to shake off the sleep in her eyes as she stood up and walked to Iya Bose's bedside.

"Tomike! Tomike! Tomike! How many times did I call you?"

"Grandma three times" she yawned. She was certain Iya Bose was about to preach a sermon, a long one at that.

"Are you listening to me?"

"Yes grandma I'm listening"

"Good. It's good you can hear because it is the last time I'll say this. Help me take care of Dayo. Take care of him!"

Tomike rolled her eyes. Iya Bose continued.

"He is your son. Your own son Tomike. I have trained him all this while, but Tomi he is your responsibility. He is a gift from God, whether or not you wanted him or appreciate him. When you die, God will ask you 'Tomike how did you take care of your son?' How will you answer ehn! How? As for me I will boldly say I took care of him to the best of my ability. But will you be able to say the same? Will you?

"Tomike don't let anything bad happen to that boy, otherwise, otherwise Tomike! I will not be happy with you, and God will not be happy with you. Just as I took you as my own and loved you, and took good care of you, do same to your own child. Love him, take care of him. That is all I have to say"

Tomike chuckled.

"Grandma! You talk like you are leaving us soon ehn. You and I will take care of Dayo... together"

"Well I won't be here forever. I'm telling you my own now oo"

"Okay ma. I've heard you. Thank you soooo much for all you did for me and all you have done for Dayo. I will never really be able to repay you, but I promise to try my best to come close to it" Tomike was grinning so widely.

"Come my love" Iya Bose opened her arms to embrace Tomike, and Tomike fell right into it. The hug was warm and sweet like always. But it also seemed like farewell, like a moment that Tomike would never forget.

By the time they let go of each other, they were both crying. When they noticed each others tears in the now dark room, they laughed.

"Omo mi go and sleep. You have been here since. Go and get some rest"

"Grandma I'm fine. Let me just stay with you a while"

"Tomike!"

"Maaa!"

"I just saw you dozing off right there. Don't lie to me, you are tired. Since I came back from the hospital all of you have been watching over me as if I'm a baby. Go and rest joor. Afterall I'll still be here in the morning when you wake up. Go and sleep my dear"

"Okay ma. If you insist" she gave her a soft peck on her cheeks. "I love you"

"I love you too omo mi. Oya go and sleep"

Tomike reluctantly left the room.
Iya Bose lied, or at least she wasn't aware she was lying. She wasn't there the next morning, she died that night. That was her last conversation with Tomike and it was about Dayo.

Omo mi- my child