Chapter 43: The Present

King had just dropped Tomike off at her apartment after another one of their rendezvous. Dayo sighted them from the living room balcony, and wasn't very pleased. He knew King was married and was angry at his mother for stooping so low.

"He's married right? Or is he not?"
The first words that came out of Dayo's mouth the moment his mother walked in.

Tomike was suprised at the question, and even more by the attitude and manner it was said, as though he was mocking her.

"So that's the first thing you tell your mother when she gets back from a long day at work" she removed her coat and hung it.

"That's if you've really been working all day" Dayo murmured

"Okay young man, what exactly is your problem? Your side talk is annoying me. Come out and tell me your problem with your full chest" Tomike had a feeling that the little of what they had salvaged of their relationship was about to burn. And she was right.

"My problem is my mother frolicking around town with a married man"

"Frolicking?" Tomike laughed. "What do you even know that means?"

Tomike wasn't taking Dayo seriously and it made his blood boil.

"Mom, I'm serious. Uncle Kingsley is married. There are so many men, single men out there who won't mind you being a single mother. Why date the one who is already married?"

Tomike kept quiet and just stared at her son. Guilt had choked her.

"You know I'm saying the truth"

"Look Dayo, I am an adult. I know what I am doing, okay?"

"I truly doubt that mom. Okay what about Todd, have you even talked to him recently? Do you even know where he is now?"

Tomike raised her brow in confusion.

"First off, how did Todd get into this conversation? And secondly, of course I know where my friend is. He is traveling again and this time he's in Dubai"

"Well, why can't you date Todd?"

Tomike scoffed. Dayo continued.

"He is single, kind, knows about me and he even has money. What exactly is the problem?"

Tomike shook her head as she laughed. If only he knew.

"Well the problem might just be that Todd is not interested in me in that way" she sat on a chair and began unbuckling her boot.

"How would you know that if you've never tried asking him"

"And who said I haven't asked him?"

There was a moment of silence. Tomike stood up and walked up to her son, her boots in hand.

"Look Dayo, I get it. You like Todd and would love him to become a father to you, but it's not going to happen okay? Just accept the fact that he is nothing but your mother's good friend" She walked passed him and began heading to her room.

"So is King the better choice? A married man for God's sake mom!"

Dayo was beginning to get on her nerves. It was bad enough that she felt guilty whenever she was with King, and now her son was here playing devil's advocate. She dropped the boots in her hand and turned around to look at him.

"It is none of your business who I am involved with Mr Man. I am your mother and you don't have any right to question me. Do you know his wife? What is it to you?"

"I don't need to know his wife to know that what you are doing is wrong"

Tomike felt anger creeping up her body and slowly laying a hold on her. She tighten her palms into a fist, trying her best not to slap Dayo. He was slowly but surely passing his boundaries.