Chapter 31: The Present

"Tomike, what are we doing at the airport?" Todd asked as he and Tomike walked through glass automatic sliding doors that was the entrance to the crowded airport.

"There is someone coming from home to visit and I want you to meet this person" Tomike had a forced smile on her face, trying hard to convince herself that all would be well. She couldn't think of a better way to break the news to Todd asides facing him with it.

"Who is 'this person' you are talking about Tomi. You didn't mention this to me earlier, why?"

They both walked the shiny marble floors, Tomike checking for which gate Dayo would emerge, and Todd following closely behind, not sure where they were going.

"Because I didn't know how you would react. Just relax would you, all your questions will be answered soon"

Todd was now right beside Tomike, he halted and looked down at her, his brow furrowed and muscular arms across his chest.

"Wait a minute, are you dating someone? Did you meet someone on your trip back home? That must be it! You don't have to be so weird about it you know"

Tomike rolled her eyes as she looked away without a word, and continued her search. If only he knew. He had no hint whatsoever on what was about to happen.

Meet someone? Jeez, like I'm interested in anyone else. Clueless as usual.

"That must be it right? Right?" He said as he tried to catch up with her, taking long strides. And soon he did with a few steps, his long legs aiding him. He tried to push Tomike's face to look at his.

"Look, he'll be here in a couple of minutes, I'm sure his plane must have landed by now. That should be his gate" Tomike pointed as she finally came to a stop.

"He? I knew... "

"Dayo!" Tomike walked sharply towards her son who was carrying a bagpack as well as dragging behind him two large traveling bags. As she approached him, they hugged.

Their hug was quick as Tomike detached herself from it within seconds. She wasn't excited and the last thing she wanted to do was feign she was.

Dayo on the other hand looked like he had won the winning lottery ticket. He looked around as he admired in awe his new surrounding.

Todd was left in the midst of the crowd confused, and not sure what to make of what he was witnessing. "He looks too young to be her... " He shook his head as the idea was stupid. He decided to simply wait and see like Tomike had suggested earlier.

After Tomike and Dayo had exchanged pleasantries, they walked back to where Todd stood, a few meters away. She helped him with one of his bags.

"You surely packed a lot didn't you?" She blurted out in a sarcastic manner.

"Yeah, since I'm staying here permanently I didn't want to leave much behind" Dayo was smiling so much if he wasn't of African decent, a pink patch would have appeared on his cheeks.

Tomike ignored his comment of staying permanently as she swallowed hard. She had not yet come to terms with the fact that Dayo would be staying with her for a long, long time, not bound to go anywhere anytime soon.

"Hello there" Todd greeted a rather confused Dayo who was only able to reply "Hi". He now looked to his mother for an explanation and so did Todd.

Tomike was silent. She wasn't sure why, but she felt extremely nervous. She was tempted to lie to Todd but knew she couldn't because it would make things awkward between her and Dayo. Todd cleared his throat, reminding Tomike of her reality.