Chapter 54: The Present

"How are you?" Tomike asked as she settled into the black leather sofa.

"Tomi, you always ask this question when you see me, and my answer always remains the same"

"I am fine" they both echoed. Tomike let out a light laughter.

"I know. But I really want to know how you are. You know Todd, I feel really guilty about what happened to you. I feel like it was my fault"

"But it wasn't. I've told you this a million times" Todd sat down beside her.

"I wish I didn't run away, if I stayed by your side ..."

"I was already using before what happened during the new year Tomike. This is not your fault. It started when I went to Morocco last year. I and Linda did it for fun. We were out and about, we went to this club and some guys introduced us to it. It was supposed to be a one time thing, but everytime I felt stressed with work, or tired I'd seek it out and take a little. I thought I had control until... until I didn't. After the breakup with Linda, that was it, every time I needed more. It had nothing at all to do with you partner"

"True, maybe you're right. But I should have at least noticed" Tears were now threatening to fall from her eyes. "You're my best friend, we've known each other for too long. I should have known something was up"

"Yeah, probably because you were to busy with that married nigerian rich ex of yours" Todd laughed.

"Stop playing"

"Really Tomi, don't stress it. By the way, how's it going with the Doctor?"

"You're really good at changing the topic aren't you"

Todd laughed again. "You taught me well"

"I'm taking it really slow. I'm not about to make a fool of myself. We're still getting to know each other, but for now he's in the friend zone"

"I'm happy for you, even though I pity the poor guy. He has no clue what he's getting himself into"

Tomike playfully hit Todd on his shoulder.

"Ow! That hurt" he chuckled.

"'Ow that hurt'" Tomike mimicked. "You sound like a girl" They both laughed.

It was snowing outside and the windows were covered in white. The fireplace made crackling sounds and it's yellow light gave the room a cozy yellow reflection. Todd picked up the mug on a side stool in front of him, and took a sip of his lemon tea.

"Do you believe you your boy wants to be a mechanic?"

"You say 'mechanic' like it's a bad thing"

"Well Todd, it's a 'weird thing'. Why that profession out of the millions of things to do in the world?"

"Well, do you want him to be a programmer like you?"

"No way" Tomike laughed. "He couldn't do it even if he wanted to. I know my son, he really doesn't have the brains for it"

"Then let him do what he wants to. Allow the boy be Tomi, okay?"

"Whatever" Tomike rolled her eyes." I like the new look, it makes your apartment look... what's the word I'm looking for now, 'grandeur'. Very impressive"

"Thank you Mademoiselle"

"You're welcome"