Chapter 14: The Past

"My dear, it wasn't easy for me at all. My husband died when my last girl was eight months. We suffered, very well. What did they not do to us? Just imagine me carry three children around, looking for where to stay, what to eat. Nobody wanted to help us. It was only God sustaining us." Iya Bose wouldn't stop talking about her life and struggles.

Tomike and her grandaunt were seated in the balcony picking beans for supper. As they sorted the beans, Iya Bose talked about everything.

It had been two months since Tomike moved in with Iya Bose, and everything was pleasant. She didn't remember the last time she felt so much peace and joy. She was eating well and sleeping well; not exactly, she had nightmares. Iya Bose had noticed and asked what was wrong, but she avoided her questions.

Apart from that though, she was fine. She had met Iya Bose's two daughters, Bose and Temilade. They were very nice to her and happy to see her. She had also met her grandmother's other siblings. They were all quite old, but still very jovial.

She was happy, she was finally okay.

Iya Bose was telling her about her life after the death of her husband, and how she had to work really hard to provide for her children. Luckily for her things turned out well. Her first daughter, Bose, had married a good man that was quite rich. He was instrumental to Iya Bose's buisness, and helped the family in many ways.

Babajide, her second, was living in the UK. He studied medicine and moved there to search for greener pastures. He was also doing really well abroad.

As for her last child Temilade, she still lived with her mother and worked for a radio station. All was good in Iya Bose's home.

Iya Bose pampered Tomike so much that Tomike sensed the other children under her care were jealous. But she could care less. Her life of suffering was over, and that was all that mattered to her.

"We thank God it all turned out well" Iya Bose continued.

Just then Tomike felt something in her tummy. It was as though a team of players were playing football in her stomach. She felt uncomfortable and moved from side to side, trying hard not to let her facial expression give her away.

Then suddenly there was an eruption, as though the players in her belly were pushing their way up her throat in order to be free. She held her mouth tight and ran to the bathroom.

When she got there, she emptied her body of all it's food content. Her breakfast; pap and akara, her lunch;  noodles, and the snacks she ate were all gone in a matter of seconds.

She couldn't help herself. All she did was vomit and vomit and vomit. Iya Bose who was right behind her as she ran to the bathroom was now standing at the door.

"Tomike, are you alright? You probably ate too much of that sugar biscuit. Sorry dear."

Tomike could only nod in response.

"Wash your face okay? I have some medicine you can take to relieve you" She left.

Tomike knew deep down that the 'sugar biscuit' Iya Bose was referring to was the last thing to cause her sick state. She was scared to let her thoughts stray that far, but she had a gut feeling it could be what she was thinking.

She sat on the bathtub that was in the bathroom, holding her stomach. She was feeling dizzy now.

Could I be.. Could I be pre.... No! No way! I'm still too young. Young girls like me can't get pregnant. I'm only fourteen for God's sake.

She hadn't seen her period for a while now and she attributed it to the change of environment. But now this was happening.

It's a coincidence. It doesn't mean anything. I'm finally doing fine, I'm doing okay. God this can't be happening to me.

Her eyes were tightly squeezed, tears dropping from them. Her mind now strayed to what her step father had done to her when he found out she'd be leaving his house.

Akara - beans cake.

**********
Please don't forget to vote and comment. I'd really love to hear from you. If you forgot to vote for the previous chapters, it's not too late. You can still go back and do that😉. I appreciate 😁.