Chapter 23: The Present

"Tomike!" Iya Bose's voice was a little frail, but was still very audible.

"Grandma!"

Tomike rushed towards her as soon as she sighted her. They hugged and Tomike wouldn't let go, she hadn't realized how much she missed Iya Bose. As she slowly released her arm, she examined her Grandaunty's features. She looked thin and tired, like someone or something was sucking the life out of her.

The smile that was now plastered on her face wasn't the smile she remembered. That rich compexioned, chubby smile that Tomike knew so well was now replaced with a dark, wrinkled, uneasy smile. She was in pain, Tomike could see it. But Iya Bose hid it well. She was a strong woman, she wasn't used to sickness because she seldom got sick. This was strange to her, but she was putting up a really good fight. Tomike hugged her again, this time a little bit tighter as she fought back tears. She was here to support the woman, not cry like a little baby that was losing it's mother.

A support system Tomi, be her support system.

Iya Bose's weak strokes on her back soothed her soul. She let go even though she didn't want to. Tomike was not one to show emotions, so she pulled herself together and acted natural, even though the sight of the woman in front of her broke her heart.

"My programmer is back. My computer guru has arrived. Please let the whole of Lagos know ooo. Omo mi how are you?"

"I'm fine ma. You nko?  How is your health? Are you feeling better? Have you been eating well? Is the.... "

Iya Bose's laughter got Tomike unawares.

"Did I say something funny?"

"On a normal day I'm the one asking those questions, and you would call me overbearing. Now look at you" she laughed again.

"Grandma, haven't you heard the saying 'the child will become the parent' that's what's happening now"

"Abi o" Bose beamed. It seemed that the sight of her mother and Tomike together made her happy. She was sitting on a plastic chair right beside the hospital bed where Iya Bose and Tomike sat, while Temilade stood behind her sister.

"True talk my dear, true talk" Iya Bose smiled.

Soon they were chatting away about everything and anything. Tomike was just then realizing how much she missed home and family. Irrespective of all the complexities and complications that was related to her coming back, she was greatful for her family. And food, that was also important to her. In one sitting alone she had devoured three wraps of amala and a big plate of ewedu. Temilade had ordered food for everyone as well as some snacks.

                    **********

After a while Temilade left as she had to resume for work, Bose stepped out to handle some buissness and Iya Bose fell asleep, holding Tomike's hand.

Tomike decided to take a walk outside the hospital. No matter what, she'd always hate hospitals. For her, it smelt like death and sadness. She had no good memories of hospitals and decided she'd leave the building for a bit to get some fresh air.

As she walked the corridors of the building she couldn't help but really worry for Iya Bose's condition. She had lost weight, she looked weak and tired. The grimreaper had really come for her this time. What would happen if Iya Bose died? How would she survive if the grim reaper took her away. Her heart wouldn't be able to take the loss of another parent. She quickly refuted that line of thought.

Nothing will happen to her, she is a strong woman.

She continued to recite that in her head as she approached the reception that was on the ground floor.