33🤍

The next morning I wake up early and go start the coffee

The next morning I wake up early and go start the coffee. I know dad and Dex are probably out in the fields. Debbies car is gone but I find Albert out on the porch.

"Morning Albert!" I smile.

"Morning sweet girl. Come have a seat." He said.

"You want coffee first?" I ask him.

"Of course and black please." He said.

I go back inside grab after cup of coffee and walk back out and sit down beside him.

"How did you sleep, Albert?"

"The best I have in years." He smiles.

"I'm glad to hear it." I smile and take a sip of my coffee.

"I don't mean to be rude but where is your mother dear?"

"She died a couple of years ago in a car accident."

"Oh, Atlee I'm sorry. I didn't want to ask in front of Debbie but when you didn't call her mom I wasn't sure."

"She was a nurse and was on her way home from a shift and was hit and killed by a drunk driver. That's why I was so passionate about not being guilty. I would never drink and drive after what happened to her." I said.

"I understand Atlee and I'm sorry all this happened to you. What did you do before last year?" Albert asked.

"I was a nurse. I followed in my mom's footsteps. I wanted to help people."

"You don't want to help people now?"

"I do but I don't know about working in this town as a nurse. I like helping Tate with Watchology." I smile.

"I'm glad he found you and you know with me moving here I will need help sometimes Atlee."

"And I would be glad to help you, Albert." I smile and put my hand on his.

"Grandfather, are you hitting on my girl?" Tate laughs as he walks out on the porch with a cup of coffee.

"Just maybe Tate." He laughs.

"We were just having a little chat, Tate." I wink at him.

"What's on schedule for today?" Tate asks yawning.

"Well, I would like to check out the rental I got," Albert said.

"You already got a rental? How did you manage that grandfather?" Tate asks.

"Well Rusty helped me find a place online and Beck and I found one we liked and we put money down."

"Well let's go. Dad will let us borrow his truck." I smile.

"I'll go see if dad is up and ready to go," Tate said going in the house.

"Albert are you sure you want to leave Maine? It's all you have ever known."