Ethereal

The soft breeze played with his hair as he stared at his friend. In the moonlight, his pale skin seemed to glow with an almost silver tint. He admired his friend's features, appreciating how sculpted he was. But something in the air changed as soon as the guitar was strummed.

Maybe it was the gentle melody that floated in the air from the wooden instrument, or the way his friend's soft, black locks hung loosely over his eyes, but he realized in this moment that life was good. In this moment, he stared at his friend and he saw that he was beautiful; his doe-eyes which were usually bright and shining now held a content dullness to them. His beautiful voice which many have grown to love was muted into a hum as he strummed the guitar's chords gently and existed in the song he was learning to play.

In this moment, he only existed with his friend. The picnic table on which they sat felt more like a cloud as his friend hummed and strummed the chords, carrying them to a plane of existence more light and ethereal than the one they were to be. The way his friend focused on the tune while also periodically glancing at him, searching for admiration and acknowledgement, made him suddenly appreciate the practiced musician before him. The way he worked hard to build up a skill he desired for years, it was truly something to admire. The way he focused on his craft like it was a sculpture to be carved was something to appreciate.

He felt that this was it; this was the most beautiful moment in life. This was what everything they had gone through was for. The blood, sweat, and tears they shed over the long years; this is what they were for. This is what they waited for.

The surrealism of the moment dawned on him. No matter what they would face, what challenges lie ahead, they would face it together.

And in this moment, as he cast one last solemn look upon his friend, he decided to commend this moment to memory and replay it every time he needed something to remember why he worked everyday. Why he stayed in this unnatural life, this moment was the reason.

And so, the two friends stayed in their place; the moment of serene, etherealism was meant to last forever in this timeline.