Chapter 42

"Morning." he said, kissing the tip of my nose.

"Good morning." I sighed, laying my head on his shoulder.

"You scared the hell out of me, I woke up and you were gone."

"Let me guess, you tracked my scent?" I asked, lifting my head.

"You bet, I didn't want to interrupt though, because you looked so peaceful. You didn't get much sleep."

"What do you . . . how do you . . . I kept still and quiet."

"I know you, I woke up a few times and I knew you were awake. Do you feel better now?"

"Still anxious but better."

"Everything will be okay." he insisted.

"Doubtful, but this conversation has to happen between the two of us before I can talk to Carlisle. Whether dad agrees or not."

"I have an idea, let's shower and go out for breakfast."

"We don't have to."

"I know, but I want to, let's do normal couple things." he smiled.

"Ok, let's go do normal couple things." I smiled back.

We went to the diner and had a normal breakfast date, our first. It was amazingly simple, I loved every second of it, and then we went to my home. Dad was in the kitchen when we walked in, Emma was sitting on the counter next to him. He was suddenly quiet when he saw me, just staring for a few seconds.

"Hey, Nylah." Emma said.

"Hi Emma, can you give us a few minutes?" I asked.

"She knows everything." dad said.

"I need to talk to you in private about something important." I insisted.

"Okay, Sam, let's go out back." Emma said.

"I'll be right outside." Sam whispered in my ear before kissing my forehead.

"Nylah, I can explain." dad said.

"You slept with her best friend! What is there to explain? You slept with Linda knowing that your best friend was interested in her. Mom's best friend!" I argued.

"We didn't mean for it to happen, sweets. Both of us were grieving, you were barely speaking, I was stressed out and it felt like I was losing my grip on reality. You were at your grandfather's house because I wanted to pack your mom's things alone. Linda came over to help me and one thing lead to another. Nylah, I loved your mother, I still do, and I always will. Linda and I found comfort in each other after the loss of someone so important in our lives." he sighed, rubbing his hands over his face.

"Anyone else dad, so many women out there and you pick mom's best friend. Your best friend tried to kill me because you took his woman."

"He was interested in her but Linda was never interested in Marcus. I know that it's bad, I get that Nylah, but what we had was comfort and solace to combat grief and loss. I don't expect you to understand and honestly, I hope you never do. I hope that you never know that type of pain."

"I feel like I'm being childish about this but I can't comprehend how your dead wife's best friend could give you solace. I can't ignore that little bit of pain in my heart." I sighed.

"No, you can't comprehend it because you've never experienced anything like it. Ny, I'm so sorry that you had to find out about this and that it happened the way that it did. It didn't last long, only a few months and I never realized how angry Marcus was. I'm sorry."