Chapter 12

I carried a candle out with me since it was raining and kept it dry. Knowing and not caring that I was no longer alone I ventured out into the forest, waiting to feel where the right place was. I could call the elements in the house but it feels better, there's more connection when it's done outside. When I found the spot, I got comfortable, took a few deep breaths and felt the glow take over when I raised my arms.

"I call to mother earth, giving and deep, in her we sow that we may reap. Give me your charm and bring no harm . . ." the earth started to vibrate under me.

"I call to air both loving and sweet, on her heart my wings will beat. Rise and turn and blow your breath warm, come stir the wind but do no harm . . ." the wind grew in its intensity around me.

"I call to water, rain, stream, and sea, within her large heart life came to be. With your soft rain, bring no harm nor pain . . ." the rain started to fall harder around me but I remained dry and my candle lit.

"I call to fire, her heat and light, in her heart love burns strong and bright. Flame like the sun bring harm to none . . ." the candle's flame grew larger, hotter.

"I am the elements and they are within me. As I will, so mote it be."

When I lowered my shaking arms the wind and rain died down, the candle's flame lost some of its fierceness and the earth beneath me stopped vibrating. It still hummed to me but it was softer and more manageable while my heartbeat fiercely in my chest. I got up on shaky legs, blowing out the candle, blowing my hair out of my face and just waiting.

"What the hell do you want?" I shouted when I got tired of waiting.

"I was giving you the time to finish." the female leech, Alice, said and I quickly realized she wasn't alone.

"What do you want?" I repeated.

"You're very rude." she said and the guy she was with stood in front of her.

"I honestly don't care about your opinion of me."

"Your species is supposed to be impartial." the guy said in a deep southern accent, confirming my suspicions of Bella's big mouth.

"You shouldn't know what I am, Bella had no right to tell you anything about me." I argued.

"Doesn't change the facts." he insisted.

"That was a very long time ago. As in before my uncle was killed by some of your kind, along with some more family and friends. Leeches are not to be trusted and that is a proven fact."

"We're not like the nomads." she argued.

"A vampire is a vampire, if I were to bleed you'd both try to drain me dry. I've made my thoughts clear so keep away from me." I told her.

"My name is Alice . . ."

"Leech, bloodsucker, vampire, that is your name. Now leave me alone and keep your distance." I growled.

"What about Bella?" the guy asked.

"She already made her decision, albeit a stupid and dangerous one, but she already chose what and who she wanted. There's no coming back from this. Stay the hell away from me and tell Bella to do the same."

Before either of them could say anything I took off, using the wind as a barrier to walk faster and keep them away. When I made it home I put barriers up around us as best I could and I felt relieved when I felt my father's abilities bolstered my own.

After that, I finished my homework, showered and fell asleep at around 7 pm. I just . . . I was emotionally exhausted and really sad. Moments like these make me miss my mother so much. What I expected to be a night of long sleeping hours was cut short, the loud ringing woke me up at around 9:30 and I drowsily answered Emily's call.