Chapter 40

While we ate breakfast I took mental notes of everything that we spoke of and we had barely finished breakfast when Jared barged in, Paul and Seth weren't far behind. We all know they are here to check on me before I go check on Jake. The three of them smother-hugged me until I couldn't breathe, then they let go just to look at me. They all gave me the worried fraternal once over before smiling.

"You're not at 100." Seth said.

"No, I'm still a little tired, a little magically drained, but I'll be fine." I replied.

"You shouldn't have done that." Paul argued.

"Not you too." I sighed.

"It was dumb, he would've healed anyway."

"Leave the horse alone Paul, it's already dead. This all happened yesterday so move on."

"Don't be a brat." he chuckled.

"Alright, I'm going to put some shoes on and go check on Jake." I told everyone.

"No magic." all five guys said.

"I just . . ."

"None!"

"No promises." I replied.

Damn shifter hearing, I tried to walk out alone but Jared quickly followed.

"I don't need a sitter."

"We were gonna send Seth but he's too soft on you." he responded.

"Go away Cameron." I chuckled when he bumped into me.

"You scared the hell out of us." he sighed.

"When exactly?"

"We were all so pissed when we saw Colin and Brady. Two vampires surrounding you and they left."

"On my orders so don't be hard on them."

"I know but still, I wanted to beat their ass. When you brought the damn wall down I was waiting to catch you but you stood tall, pale and tired but so damn strong. After Jake, you looked like a ghost." he said.

"Mike said I was knocking on the reapers door."

"Looked like it, don't do that again." he pleaded.

"You know why I did it, right? Why I would do it again for any and all of you?" I asked.

"Because you love the pack." he sighed, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "Well, now there will hopefully be nothing to worry about. Everything goes back to normal and we just have to wait out the leeches." he smiled.

"Jared, what is normal for a bunch of overgrown shape-shifting dogs?"

"That's a good question."

"While you figure that out, I'm gonna go check on Jake."

I knocked o n the door and Billy opened, his eyes pooling with tears when he saw me. He motioned for me to get closer, so I bent over, he took my face in his hands, and kissed both of my cheeks.

"You should still be resting. Thank you so much Nylah Rose, may the elements always guide your steps."

"May the light of your spirits shine brightly on you and yours always, and keep them from harm." I replied.

"How do you feel, Nylah? No lies either, I'm old but not blind." he said as I walked in.

"I'm tired, a little drained, and somewhat restless. It's like, I know it's over but there's been so much drama since I arrived that it feels like the calm before the storm."