Chapter 5

Nylah's POV

Thankfully none of my morning teachers made me introduce myself to the class, that would've been awkward, to say the least. Lunch could not have started any sooner either. After gym class ended I was starving and ready to bite someone's head off, too.

"Hey, how was your morning?" Mike asked me when we all sat down.

I won't lie, I considered just eating alone but Bella didn't let me.

"It was uneventful, to be honest, the most fun I had was watching Bella bean people in gym. Thankfully, I was able to sit out today." I chuckled while Bella glared at me.

"I've told Mr. Gourd not to let me play, and I already apologized." she muttered.

"It could've been worse." I shrugged.

"How? She busted my lip!" Lauren argued.

"She could've broken your nose. Back home . . ."

"NyRo, really?" Bella sighed.

"She broke a boy's arm playing dodgeball. Well, she fractured it." I told them.

"Why do you call her NyRo?" Jessica asked.

"My name is Nylah Rose, nosybody, NyRo is a nickname Bella created for me in second grade. She's the only one who calls me that. The only one." I repeated when Mike opened his mouth.

"Did you have a boyfriend back home?" Tyler asked.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Maybe she likes girls." Lauren sneered, staring at Tyler.

"Maybe you wished I did so that he could stare at you that way that you creepily stare at him, sweetie." I said making Angela choke on her juice.

"What . . . how dare . . . I don't . . ." she stammered.

"I didn't have a boyfriend when I left because I didn't want one. Senior year is an important year and I had pre-college things to do." I replied.

"Nerd alert!" Mike shouted.

"Hey!" Eric and Angela argued.

"Oh, sorry."

"Let me ask you, Mike, how many colleges have you applied for?" I asked.

"None."

"How many are you going to apply to?"

"One, the community college."

"See, no aspiration at all to move forward or get out. That's so very sad." I sighed.

"I've applied to two out of state and WSU, I'm not done either." Angela said.

"I need to apply to more given the sudden move." I mused.

"I haven't applied to any." Bella said.

"You what? I'm so disappointed in you."

"Sorry mom." she chuckled.

The rest of my day was just as uneventful as it started. Forks high school definitely isn't the loud, high paced, high octane school that I'm accustomed to, that's for sure. I don't know how long it'll take me to get used to everyone being all up in my business but we're here for the long haul. At least, for a few months until senior year is over.

By the time I got home dad still wasn't here, that's normal though. After doing my homework, I started to cook just like I normally do. Today's dinner is baked parmesan crusted chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and some vegetables I'll decide later on. I invited Bella over after she finished her homework since Charlie is off with a friend. Today he is off fishing.