Chapter 22

SAM'S POV

"She's not okay." I said to Mr. Duncan.

"No, she's not. Nylah isn't big on sharing her feelings most of the time. She barely shares with me and mostly when she blows up or something is really bothering her, like this whole Bella situation. She bottles things up too much and then she blows as she did with Bella, that's been brewing for a while." he replied.

"What about that other thing?"

"I think she might be onto something, I had a thought or two about that as well. If another vampire finds out about what we are, we might be in danger. Nylah's senses are a bit more acute than mine because she's a double Elementalist and all, but I got a sense that this isn't all. I don't know what's coming but this is just the beginning and it's possible that whatever this is, is coming for her." he worriedly admitted.

"Nothing will touch her." I growled.

"With you on her side, I don't doubt that son."

"Mr. Duncan . . ."

"Sam, I told you to call me Ryan, all things considered."

"Ryan, um, are you sure about me staying at your house?" I asked.

I definitely won't mind going to sleep next to my girlfriend and it was his idea but it is a little awkward. I really hate to compare but it's the only other situation I know; with Leah and Harry she just came to my house, I never spent the night at Harry's and Leah never spent the night at my house if I'm being honest. We did sleep together but she never spent the night. There's also the fact that Leah and I never moved this quickly, the imprint really moves things along, that's for sure.

"She's already spent the night with you Sam, and I trust the two of you to be responsible adults. That's all I'm going to say about it." he said, looking away as the tips of his ears got all red the same way his daughter's do.

"Yes sir, should we be worried about her?" I asked him.

"I wouldn't say worried with a capital W but we should keep an eye out. The idea of two separate leeches in my house, now that worries me. The fact that she picked up on that possibility worries me. There will be someone around her at all times, right?" he asked, turning to look at me.

"Mr. Dun . . . Ryan . . ."

"I lost her mother before it was her time, I won't . . . I can't lose my daughter, Sam. I wouldn't survive it."

There was a look on his face, a sort of desperation in his eyes that I understand. Although I haven't told her yet, I know that Nylah is my imprint and I love her. The thought of losing her, of something possibly happening to her, it's something that I'm not willing to entertain. Not even for a second. Then I've got my brother. It's not exactly the same thing but I understand where he's coming from.

"At all times. When she goes to school there will be two shifters in the woods behind the school and after school, she'll either be here or someone will be with her at my house. Nylah will not be alone until this is over, even if she doesn't see them, they'll be there . . . I will be there. No matter how much she tells me not to. This I promise you." I told him.

"Thank you. Have you told her yet?"

"Told her what?"

"About the imprint?" he asked with a knowing smile.

"No, not yet, I'm waiting for her to hear the stories this weekend."

"Have you told her that you love her?" he asked, looking me straight in the eyes as if daring me to contradict him.