Chapter 64

I lowered the 'shield' and Jake grabbed my hand. He obviously knows where he's going so I followed him in silence. As soon as we walked up the stairs the doctor opened the door and right behind him was Edward. The looks on their faces scare me. Edward has a wild look of desperation in his eyes like nothing I've ever seen before and Carlisle is extremely tense.

"This isn't the best time." Carlisle said.

"I'm going to see her." I told him.

"So am I." Jake added.

"Good, maybe one of you can talk some sense into her." Edward said, turning around and walking back inside.

"Please, come in." Carlisle said.

The house is light and airy but the air feels tense, heavy. We walked by Alice who was sitting on the stairs rubbing her temples, Jasper who was right by her side, and Esme, who was in the kitchen messing with something. The stress on their faces and in their posture is adding to my own stress and fear. When we walked into the living room, I stopped short and held Jake back as well. Emmett stood on the opposite side of the room, his eyes hard. Rosalie stood beside Bella, which in itself was weird, and Bella looks like absolute crap. She was half-hidden behind the arm of the sofa, curled up in a loose fetal position, with a blanket covering her.

"Jake! Nylah!" she happily said, sitting up, and now let's add shock to the fear and stress.

There are deep circles under her eyes, dark circles that jump out because her face is so pale and super thin looking. She's obviously lost weight, her skin is stretched thin and tight over her bones. Bella definitely looks sick there's no denying that. Jake and I walked closer but live-action Tiffany stopped us.

"That's close enough." she stated.

"Rose stop, it's okay. I'm so happy you came to see me." Bella smiled and it made her face distort weirdly.

"Bells, what happened to you?" Jake asked.

"Rose, help me up." she said. "Please."

As Tiffany helped her up, I wished she wouldn't have. Her impossibly pregnant stomach mocked me. This is impossible. Jake scrambled back and pulled me behind him.

"What the hell?" I asked.

"I always knew you would kill her." Jacob growled.

"Jake!" Bella complained.

"The audacity you have to say that you're not monsters, that you worry about human life and safety. You're a bunch of hypocrites." I said.

"Nylah, please . . ."

"What is it?" Jake and I asked.

"We don't know." Edward sighed.

"What?"

"We didn't know it was possible and the . . . it won't let any needles pierce the amniotic sack, sonograms don't work either." Carlisle said.

"It's a baby, just say the word Edward . . . baby." Rosalie said.

"You have to take it out." I said.

"It's my baby, I'm not getting rid of him." Bella argued.

"It's a monster, can't you see that Bella? Sucking the life out of you until it kills you and can get some B positive elsewhere." I told her.

"Oh! Maybe he wants blood." Bella smiled at Tiffany.

"I have some O negative for you, for after you . . ."

"No way." I complained.

"You want to drink blood? As a human?" Jake asked.

"If it helps the baby then yes, I'll do whatever . . ."