Chapter 14

"I need a pregnancy test but . . ."

"Nylah Rose Duncan! I will kill him!"

"Let me finish! It's not for me . . ."

"Nylah . . ."

"Dad, it's for Emily! It's for Em! She asked me to buy it because she doesn't want anyone talking about it before she knows for sure." I insisted.

"You better not be lying." he growled.

"I'm a virgin dad, the test is for Emily." I repeated.

"Why did you come to me?" he sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"For the same reason that Emily did, because people talk here too. I figured it's easier to ask you and avoid the gossipy neighbors with their rumor mills."

"Smart girl . . . Jesus, you scared the crap out of me." he said.

"You don't have to worry about that. Sam wouldn't push his luck."

"I like Sam even more now." he smiled.

"You're silly, so, can you help me?"

"Sure, I'll ask Emma . . ."

"Nurse Emma." I sang.

"Shut up! Ugh, you embarrass me." he sighed.

"Go ahead, call her, I've decided that I like this." I said, making his head pop up in my direction.

"Do you?" he asked.

"Yeah, of course I do. I think you deserve to be happy too more than anyone I know. As long as she makes you smile, I'm okay with it. I was a little rude to her, though." I admitted.

"What did you say?"

"I wasn't rude really, just a little snarky."

"Nylah . . ."

"I walked into the hospital and she was all smiley and bubbly and calling me by my name. She's really peppy! She was talking about how she'd see me later and I was all, I doubt it but bye. It wasn't on purpose but she sorta creeped me out."

"Okay, that's not as bad as I thought and yeah, she is really peppy when she's out on the floors but that's because she works mainly in Peds. When she's covering trauma she mellows out a little. It could've been a lot worse." he chuckled.

"Hey!"

"Nylah . . ."

"Okay, I can be a bit rough around the edges." I admitted.

"A bit?"

"I'm not that bad!"

"Yeah . . . whatever, we know the truth. Let me get you the test." he said.

"Yeah, call nurse Emma! I'm sure you were expecting her when I walked in. She told me she was heading this way but stopped when she saw me."

"Sweets, hush it. Hey Emma . . ."

I zoned out the conversation but the smile on his face was unmistakable. He smiles when it's just us but there's a certain way you smile, a certain smile that you only have for someone you're romantically interested in. His whole face lit up when she walked into the room too.

"Um, you asked for a pregnancy test." she awkwardly said when she walked in.

"Yeah, it's for a friend. Really it is! She lives on the reservation and she doesn't want neighbors or anyone else talking about it before she even knows. So she asked me to get the test for her." I told nurse Emma.