Chapter 32: Shopping

A couple of weeks had passed since my presentation, and I've felt great since then. That day was an essential step for me, and I didn't realize how much I needed it. It helped me, and it feels as though Cambria and I are even closer now than before. Living with Cambria and her parents was perfect too. I feel like I belong, and I am safe with them. I called Kayla, letting her know about me moving. She was supportive and said it would be fine since I am eighteen and of legal age.

After that, I never looked back or worried about my adoptive parents. I knew that they would be fine. I did write and mail a letter to them. I don't think they'll read it or reply, but I needed to express myself and move on from that part of my life. Cambria and her parents told me how proud they were of how I handled everything.

As for right now, all four of us are on our way to go shopping for our prom outfits. I was nervous and excited at the same time. The past few days, Cambria and I talked about what we wanted to wear and possible colors. She wants to wear a dress... and I do not. I actually wanted to wear a tuxedo. So, I asked Blake if he could help me with this since I have no clue what to do when shopping for one.

We arrived at our destination thirty minutes later. Clara and Cambria were planning on having some mother-daughter time while searching for Cambria's dress. We were in the same store together, even though we were separated. Blake and I were in the tuxedo aisles, and I could vaguely hear Cambria and her mother laughing from time to time where the dresses were.

~

Blake explained the different articles of clothing that are part of a tuxedo. He took some items off the rack, bringing them to the changing room for me. I tried on the dress slacks first, and they fit me very nicely. However, they were too long and went past my feet slightly. The dress shirt was really comfortable, and once I was decent, I walked out to show him.

"Ah, well, we'll just need to get it tailored a bit, but it does fit good." He said as he looked me over. I smiled, and he handed me a black jacket that I was to wear over the shirt. His facial expression told me that he didn't like what he was seeing, and I thought of something.

"What about a vest?" I asked, making him smile.

"That would actually be perfect. I'll be right back," Blake said excitedly and headed off to find a vest, I assumed.

"Hey, good lookin'," I smiled upon hearing Cambria behind me, grabbing my arm to turn me around to face her. She kissed me, and I returned it eagerly.

"Have you found what you wanted?" I asked her, and she nodded.

"Yes, I did. You already know me, and my mom spent a couple of weeks preparing. We are simply trying on dresses for fun." She answered me, and I loved seeing her all giddy like this. Cambria gave me another small kiss and reluctantly returned to Clara.

Blake returned with a white vest for me to try on. I put it on and faced the mirror. I really liked how I looked with the vest. It was perfect. Since Cambria and I agreed on sky blue for our similar colors, I came up with another idea.

I searched around the store with Blake, attempting to find a sky blue dress shirt in my size. Unfortunately, we had to ask the clerk to help us. I was lucky enough to find out that they had one left in the storeroom. Blake was excited about doing this, and I could tell how much he was enjoying himself too.

The clerk handed me the sky blue dress shirt I requested, and we walked back to the changing room. Before I went inside to change, I sent Blake on a mission to find a black vest this time around. A few minutes later, I heard a knock on the dressing room door.

"Mia, operation black vest has been completed!" He said, making me laugh. I opened the door, and he handed the vest to me. I slipped it on and buttoned it up appropriately.