Chapter 104: Awaken From the Dream

Start from the beginning

Aygor's brows furrowed, but he eventually conceded with a regretful look. "Yes, yes, you are correct." He cast the daeben a gaze like he was about to miss the most remarkable event on the planet.

Collecting himself, Aygor resumed a visage of an imperial god as he cast his gaze over the dwarfs. A profound look filled with emotion regarded these fiercely loyal men and women. Eventually, he shook his head and sighed as he uttered, "...You have suffered."

These three words smashed open the dam of emotions these proud dwarfs had held in for so long. The dome shook as men, women, and children wept loudly, some knocking their heads against the icy floor as they repeatedly kowtowed to their patron god.

Who knew the pain the dwarfs had endured these years better than they? Shunned by their people, yet forced to bear the brunt of the daebens' attacks. Used by both sides of the war to create machines of war, and then discarded afterward to pick up the remains of their people.

If all that was not enough, the people of Destia begun to eye the broken country of Merriheim for themselves. If the dwarfs had not sold themselves to the Chaos Order, then who knew, perhaps they would have ended up serving another. But as fate would have it, their protectors became their greatest prosecutors.

The dwarfs endured humiliation and rage for so long that, at some point, they began to seek joy in the pain of others.

Now, the dwarfs shed tears as they realized just how shameful their actions had been. Enemy or not, for them to have found pleasure in watching a child fight for her life. How could such people be worthy of their god's love and protection? Shame, guilt, and joy caused them to kowtow repeatedly, as they knew the weight of their sins and the promise of a brighter future.

Kashi felt something in his heart tighten. He clenched his chest and squeezed, confusion in furrowed brows. What was that? That emotion just now? Something seemed to resonate inside him as he watched the dwarfs release years of pent-up stress and pain.

Listening to the dwarfs' relieved voices, Kashi wondered if this was what the prodigal son felt like when he returned home after facing the cruelties of the outside world.

The daeben could not be sure. After all, neither he, Razznik, nor Suzuki ever had a real 'home.' Sure, they had a roof over their head and food to eat, but it was never quite 'home,' at least not in the way the TV sitcoms liked to describe it. A place one returns to frequently, where they can feel at peace and relax.

Ah, wait. Kashi recalled a certain girl sitting in a seiza with a bow by her side, practicing mentally. That serene picture. He wondered if that could count as Suzuki's home. Subconsciously, he glanced at Lunette, whose pain was visible on her bitten lips.

Ah, wait. For Kashi to learn this emotion, wouldn't he have to lose whatever or whoever eventually became his home? Realizing this, Kashi's eyes grew cold as he released his hold on his chest.

Such a useless emotion. He had no interest in learning it.

It took nearly thirty minutes before the dwarfs stabilized their emotions. Zeing regarded his brethren with a rueful smile. Finally, they had begun to once again walk on the right path once again. Even though he could not interfere too much in the lives of mortals, he had long since vowed to protect these people regardless of what path they chose in life.

Of course, it felt much better protecting good people than protecting hooligans. With a sigh, Zeing helped the council elders to their feet. "Come, come. This is not a good place to hold this discussion." He looked up at Aygor with a solemn gaze. "My Lord, please, let us retire to the throne room. I believe Kashi'll appreciate the quiet."