Hope Where All Seems Lost

Betty held the soul in her claws again, twirling it around and looking at the hate that wrapped it. "What a burden to live with. At least when I possessed him he felt the feelings I wanted him to feel, holding back this hate's hold on him."

Betty turned to Asriel, who looked at the hate on it along with her. "Look at you. You can't feel any pain. You can't let your hate give in because of the barrier I put up." Asriel nodded.

"That's not a genuine response. That's the only problem. I want you to say yes, so of course you say yes." Asriel nodded again. Betty scowled and looked back to the soul. "Alright. I'll need this hate to move onto his physical form so his soul can be clear for the skewing."

She stood up, letting the soul float on the ground. A form started to whirl around it. "Asriel, hold him down when he's here." The form solidified and Gaster jumped up, yelling in pain as the hate tangled itself around him.

Asriel kicked him to the ground as he growled. "So, what do you have to say for yourself?" Betty looked at her claws as he looked up at her with malice. "J-Jessica! Where is she?! What- What have you done to her?!" "Dead."

Gaster's eyes widened, fear taking him over. He looked to Asriel, who had a sword pointed to his back. "You're a monster. An absolute monster. What do you think she is to me, huh? What do you think you're HELPING here?!"

"I'm helping you, to be honest. See, I have two options here. I can either tell you the truth you won't believe or humor you. Which one do you want?" Gaster growled quickly. "Truth."

"I never wanted you to kill her. I wanted you to capture her so I could find a way to make her fight for me, making you two useless and willing to die at the same time!" Gaster listened attentively as she walked in circles around him.

"When I went to add hate to you so you'd be more aggressive, I couldn't believe my eyes when your soul was nearly covered in it! I look into the memories, and who do I find all that hate is for?"

Gaster scowled and grabbed her leg, slamming her to the ground. Betty's claws sharpened and slashed his arm, making him yell out in pain. He rested his head on the ground and Betty got up, kicking him in the torso as hard as she could, making him whimper and his breath become staggered. "Actions have consequences, hatebag. We were just getting to that part."

"Your little Jessica did something you didn't expect. You thought she was going to be your lapdog, come right back to you and give you a little hug, so you were ready to push her right off! Instead, she stood her ground. She fought you because she knew it was the right thing to do for the rest of her makeshift family."

"Her REAL family. We're her REAL family." Gaster felt hot tears of rage form on his eyes, but he fought them back. "Hmm. Alright. She stepped in defense of herself and her REAL family, but you couldn't accept it! So, I'll describe in wonderful detail what I saw."

Gaster clenched his fist on one arm, the other one bleeding from Betty's slash. "You didn't JUST 'see' ANYTHING. YOU INITIATED THIS!" "I wish I did. But it was sad to see you slam her against the wall, taunt her at the edge of the roof, and shatter her little blue swords!" Gaster exhaled shakily.

"You know what you did? You TORTURED her. I would've stabbed her and been done with it, but you grabbed her by the neck, told her you'd murder her, and nearly pushed her off the roof. And that's where we are..."

Betty raised his jaw, tracing her claw along the cracks that had grown on his downwards scar. "...Right now. Our little rabbit acted in self-defense, punching you like that. She probably feels terrible about it, and I ought to admit, I feel bad for YOU! You look like you're denying every letter in the words I say."