Regrets Pushed Aside

Jessica's eyes fluttered open to see sunlight peeking through green, industrial fabric. Slowly, she adjusted to the quietness of the place compared to where she'd been. She cautiously sat up, only to hear a familiar voice scowl at her.

"Lay back down." Jessica turned her head to see Gaster at her bedside, typing into a computer on a desk. Something on her other arm restrained its movement, and she lifted her wrist to see an I.V.

"Don't look at that, either. It's going to make you want to take it out." Jessica obeyed him, putting her arm by her side and resting her head on the pillow once more.

An awkward silence came forth to haunt both of them, with only the clicking of Gaster's keyboard maintaining the eerie pause.

"Hey, Gaster..?" Jessica asked and Gaster didn't look up from his computer. "I'm glad you're okay."

The skeleton stopped typing for a split second, then continued shortly after. He spoke softer then he usually did as he continued typing. "Why'd you go back?"

Jessica took a deep breath. "I didn't want you to-"

She looked to the ceiling, thinking. She could honestly care less if he died, but she couldn't handle being responsible for it.

"I- I mean... I can't live with the guilt of someone else dying on my part. Not after what I've done to Sans or Alphys."

Gaster looked to the ground. "That's what I thought." His tone went back to being cold. Jessica sat up and Gaster stopped typing to glare at her.

"That doesn't mean I'm not regretful of what I did. I can't imagine what you're going through." Gaster growled at her. "That's right. You can't."

Jessica looked hurt, but continued on, trying to keep her voice from breaking up in tears. "What I did was wrong beyond belief. Sometimes I ask myself what it was all for, and the truth is.." Jessica quickly wiped away tears.

"I did it for my own greed and hatred. I have no excuse."

Gaster turned away from his computer to face her. He took a deep breath as if he were about to say something, but then got up from his chair.

"We'll talk later."

He walked out the tent's door quickly. Jessica sighed, letting silent tears run down her face. Why even try to do anything with him?

They even had to ride back to the arena, and at this point it was going to be even more awkward. The question still haunted her, and she was sure it haunted Gaster as well.

Why did she go back? Why didn't she hesitate to try and go right back to where she almost died?

Maybe it was just the right thing to do.

It wasn't helping her headache to think about it. She removed the I.V. and got up to get changed into clean clothes, clearing her mind and preparing to go through another hour in hell.

-----------------------------

Betty laughed as Asgore laid motionless.

"Did you really HATE him that much?"

Toriel sunk to the ground, shaking as she put her hands to her mouth. She'd just killed her own husband out of her very own hatred.

She couldn't take this anymore. Screaming, she ran out of the arena as fast as she could, not stopping to try and fix what had happened.

"Toriel! Toriel!" Somone was calling her name.

The dark world around her suddenly faded away, sunlight barely reaching the outskirts of where she ran off to. Miss Grey was kneeling down to try and help, her face showing burning concern.

"H-Hey, are you okay?" Toriel still trembled, her eyes filling with uncontrollable tears. She couldn't bear to speak, so she pointed to the arena's door.

There stood Bete Noire, smiling eerily as ever. "It's nice to see you again, Jessica."

She clutched something in her hand. Jessica took shaky breaths as she kept close to Toriel, hoping that she'd protect both of them if anything happened.

Betty threw what she had and it rolled to their feet. Toriel screamed and hugged Jessica close while Jessica stared at it in horror.

Asgore laid at their feet, barely breathing.

"Now, If you wouldn't mind not moving, Miss Grey..."

Bete formed a harpoon that lit the room up with pink light. Toriel continued to sob and hug Jessica tight.

"I'd love to take that soul of yours."

Jessica hugged Toriel back softly, but then Betty saw a smile run across Jessica's face as her eyes seemed locked on something. Warily, the pink beast turned around to see-

A blue rope coming towards her at full speed.

It grabbed hold of her before she could react, pulling her out of the arena's tunnel and into the main arena, where Gaster greeted her by slamming her into the ground.

Bete looked up to barely see Jessica helping Toriel and Asgore. "HEY."

Gaster growled at her with malice. Bete looked to him with annoyance. "Eyes on ME, you abomination."

His hands swirled around Betty as they charged up to blast her. Bete was stunned for only a moment, but they swiftly obeyed Gaster as he clenched his fist.

Out of the smoke that lingered, she rushed towards him, but he blocked her quickly with a green shield.

"You're no fun to play with." Betty scowled and jumped high into the air, rising above Gaster. In a flash, she disappeared, but then appeared behind him just as quick. He was flung back and crashed right through the arena wall.

Chara and Asriel turned to where he'd been flung. Betty formed her spear and floated high above Gaster, preparing to take his life once more with a smile.

She descended lightspeed. His seconds felt numbered as he closed his eyes.

He'd die with nearly no effort from that MONSTER.

C-Crrk!

The sound made him gasp and open his eyes. A gaster blaster shielded him from doom just in time.

Gaster could hear another one power up and a mutilated scream when it shot. Dust flung up from the beast hitting the ground.

When the dust cleared, Papyrus was there, with someone he couldn't believe he was seeing beside him.

Sans.

Papyrus stared into Betty's eyes with a determined expression. Chara stared at all of them with a dismayed expression before Betty ran off to weave through the buildings, Asriel following close behind.

A/N: Shorter chapter this time around. We're getting around to the Greyster, don't worry... ;)