The Drive for Clarification

Male best friends are the best. Why? Because they teach you all the games. They let you know who is right for you and who is not, and I love it.

Cadence's POV

The music cut short, and there was a tapping on the MIC that drew everyone's attention to the stage. There Taddeo stood with a huge toothy grin and a mischievous glint in his eyes. Oh, great! He's going to humiliate me in some way! A stone of dread dropped into my stomach because I knew that look too well not to know Taddeo was up to something.

"So, I know all of us have heard about Ramai getting the Gates - Millenium Scholarship, so she doesn't have to worry about the expense of furthering her education. Now Cadence, even with her incredible smarts wasn't eligible for the scholarship--"

"Because she's white!" Someone cuts in from the crowd making everyone at the party laugh.

A smirk flitted its way to Taddeo's lips as he continued, "Well, my boss informed me before I flew out here that he wants to pay for her schooling. All of it! For as long as you are in school, he's got you covered!"

A gasp ripped through the crowd, and whispers began. Taddeo failed to see the panic set into my face as everything seemed to crash in around me.

"I'm not done yet! He's also gotten you and Ramai the best apartment near ASU, and when you move to New York for Columbia and NYU, he's getting you a place there to live in while you go to school. He said that the world needs more people like you two and that if he can help you accomplish a better future, he's helped create a better world. I can see the looks on your faces, and no, you cannot protest this. Granted, y'all have to live on campus the first year of college, so you get your apartment after that," He concluded with a bright smile that made my brain scream.

I stared at Ramai as we both processed what just happened. My schooling is covered, Ramai and I have a place in New York, and our futures are actually in reach now. To say I'm shell shocked is an understatement, I'm flabbergasted. Taddeo walked off the stage, and the music started up again. As everyone went back to the party, I felt my legs walk towards the doors and discovered my keys were already in my hands. My brain screamed to run, and I know that's what I'm doing. I wanted to go on this journey without anyone's help, let alone my brother's wealthy boss.

 I wanted to go on this journey without anyone's help, let alone my brother's wealthy boss

Everything sounded like it was muffled. I could hear someone calling me, but it was so far away. I bolted out the doors and towards my car. Before I knew it, I had the keys in the ignition, and my baby revved to life. I threw her into reverse and bolted out of my spot, and I sped towards the road. My windows were down, and I could hear someone screaming my name, but I couldn't stop. I have to keep going; I needed space. I needed time to process all of this. I knew everyone was going to angry that I ran, but I knew it was better for everyone if I got away for a little to cool off.

My metal station blasted in the background, and I cranked it like there was no tomorrow. I didn't want to hear my phone. I knew they'd call, but I didn't want to listen to it. My family had made a point to control my life, but all it did was push me away and get me into more trouble than they could ever dream of.