Texas Skies to Clear the Mind

Never underestimate the power of a woman's intuition. Some women can recognize GAME before you even play it.

"Flight 210 to Houston is now boarding," a voice stated over the intercom in LAX, causing me to stand and walk towards the terminal to go home for a while.

I was running again, and I didn't care if I had said I was done running. I needed the open skies of Texas, the dirt beneath my nails, and myself atop a horse. My phone began ringing again as I boarded the plane, and I turned it off instead of answering it. The only people that knew where I was going were my family and Jay, my old boss. Once I was back in the hotel, I packed my bags, called Jay, and told him I was coming, told my parents I was going to Texas to visit Jay, and left.

I laid my head against the back of my seat and shut my eyes for the flight. I slept almost the entire three-hour flight to Houston feeling exhausted from coming down from my anxiety attack.

Before I knew it, I'd landed in Houston

Before I knew it, I'd landed in Houston. An older woman sitting next to me was nice enough to wake me up when the captain announced we were descending into Houston.

I walked out of the airport and looked for Jay's truck as I turned my phone back on after I had grabbed my bags from the baggage claim. I had at least a hundred missed calls and a good two hundred texts. I called my mom and let her know I'd made it and then climbed into Jay's truck.

"So, why'd you run this time?" As we drove out of the airport, Jay asked, glancing at me like a dad would when he was worried about his child, not letting me get away with not talking about what had happened.

"Someone was getting too close," I whispered, staring out the window, refusing to look at my second dad.

"Really, Cade? You need to let others in! You can't keep doing this to yourself," Jay stated, glancing at me again, trying to get my green eyes to look at his chocolate brown eyes.

"I know, Jay, but I still can't do it," I replied quietly, still not making eye contact with him, upset that everything we had worked on felt like it went down the drain.

"I can see that you also got into a fight," Jay commented, nodding his head at my wrists since I had covered the bruises on my face with makeup.

"Yeah, the first day of ComicCon, and I managed to get into a fight," I chuckled as my phone began to ring again. I knew if I didn't answer soon, Ramai would kill me when she saw me next.

"Hey," I answered, trying to sound like nothing had happened, and I hadn't run all the way to Texas.

"Where the fuck are you?" Ramai yelled in my ear, making me pull my phone away from my ear a bit.

"My safe place," I replied, knowing she'd know what I was talking about as I watched the city slip away.

"You ran all the way to Texas?" She questioned in disbelief, and I knew she was shaking her head at me.