Life on the Ranch

She has that girl boss hustle.

"Cade, the horses got loose!" Jay yelled into my room, jolting Tom and me from our sleep.

"Shit!" I exclaimed, bolting out of Tom's arms and running towards my closet to throw on some clothes since I slept in a t-shirt and my underwear.

I threw on my riding skirt and boots and ran out of mine and Tom's room. I could hear Tom not far behind me as I bolted out the front door towards the barn. Loki was waiting for me by the saddles as I ran into the barn, already knowing it was time to go to work. I threw his saddle on, grabbed my rope and hat, swung up into the saddle, and we took off out the barn after the band. I glanced back at the garage to see Ramai, Jay, and Tom zooming out on the four-wheelers right behind me. The herd was racing towards the front gate, which had conveniently left open, which told me this was done on purpose. I pushed Loki harder to get to the front of the herd before they could get out of the gate. We sprinted in front of the lead horse, Hell's Kiss, and I roped his neck to get him to follow us. Once we had Kiss and the rest of the band turned around, Loki and I slowed them down.

 Once we had Kiss and the rest of the band turned around, Loki and I slowed them down

"Whoa!" I yelled, throwing a hand up.

The herd came to a stop as I looked down at Jay, waiting for me to speak.

"Someone left the front gate open. This wasn't an accident, Jay. Someone is trying to ruin your reputation," I spoke to Jay, angry that someone was trying to mess with all of our hard work.

"And you think you know who it is?" He inquired as Ramai zipped passed us to shut the front gate to keep any stragglers from getting off the property.

"James Patrick has had it out for you since you poached me from him," I replied, beginning to lead the band back to the large arena we'd had them in since we were in the middle of training.

"And I assume you want to confront him about it yourself?" Jay smirked with a shake of his head, knowing how I felt about the business I had helped him build.

"I promise I'll take Tom with me!" I exclaimed, throwing a hand up.

"Alright, but don't be gone too long. We need to get to work with these horses after that scare they just went through" Jay laughed, shaking his head again, knowing he wasn't going to be able to keep me from ripping James a new one.

"Deal!" I smiled, jumping down from Loki's back and handing the reins to one of the barn hands that had been cleaning out the stalls when the excitement started.

"Please, don't get arrested again!" Jay called as Tom, and I took off for the Jeep, making Tom get a quizzical look on his face.

"I'll try!" I yelled back, starting the truck.

"What did he mean, don't get arrested again?" Tom asked as we went down the road, finally feeling comfortable enough to ask me the question he'd been buzzing to ask.