New Moons

Ming scowled at Forth, "I don't see the purpose of this stupid contest. Pick someone else. I already know I'm handsome. What is the purpose of singing and dancing in front of the whole university?" He turned to walk away, anger in every line. This whole moon thing would seriously cut into his courting time.

"Mingkwan, you don't have a choice. Your peers voted you as their class representative and you will be there tomorrow or you will face the SOTUS punishment system." Forth smiled wryly. Memories flashed before his eyes, going back to last year. "Trust me, I know exactly how you feel. It's not so bad as it lets you out of some of the worst activities but you if you don't win, the punishment is harsh." he sighed.

Ming turned back and sat down. "Why do I get the feeling you're talking from experience here?"

"I am. I was the Engineering Moon last year. I hated it so badly, and let everyone know, that no one now is brave enough to mention it." Forth laughed softly. "I was punished often, and I don't regret them, not a single one. But Ming, don't be a fool like I was, do your best." Forth stood, and with an encouraging pat on his shoulder, walked away.

Ming sat for a while, considering his options, wondering how he could turn this to his advantage. There had to be a way... he was a smart man. He needed Wayo. Talking to his not so smart friend always made his brain function better!

Wayo was in shock! How could the sciences faculty vote him as the most handsome man to be the moon for the freshman year? It was all the fault of the Angel gang who had basically adopted him on the first day, deciding that with his fragile looks and delicate stucture, he needed bodyguards or he would be eaten alive by both men and women.

The Angel gang didn't care about his sexuality, although they prayed he was gay. Wayo had neither confirmed or denied anything at this point. Ambiguity was best. His plan was to get through the year without dating anyone, so he didn't need to be one or the other or anything really.

His dorm room door slammed open suddenly and Ming came crashing in. Yo gave a silent chuckle. He had stopped locking the door because Ming was a pain, dropping by so frequently and well, if he was honest, just too lazy to go and unlock it every time Ming wanted in right now.

"Yo," Ming said sadly, "I was really looking forward to SOTUS, but it's evil. Evil, I tell you."

Wayo laughed, "You've talked all your life about being an engineer. I've always admired your dedication. You going to drop out because of the team building aspect?"

"Oh hell no!" He snapped back, "I'm just whining because I can with you. Besides, I've got a problem to work through and I've only ever found difficult solutions when talking to you." Ming sat down on his favorite chair and propped his chin up. "Wayo, why do you think people fall in love?"

"Why are you asking ME that?"

"Well," Ming sighed, "You've loved the Great Phana without fail for 4, or is it 5 years now. I figure if anyone I know, knows about love it would be you."

Ming looked at Wayo and figured that being honest about his dating past was best. "Yo, you know how I have experience, ya? Well, it's physical experience, not emotional. I don't do love - love stuff. It's kinda funny how it don't matter both girls and boys don't care as long as you spend money on them. I'm a handsome man and I'm rich. They like that." 

Ming shook his head. "I sometimes felt so ashamed for the girls and and guys I slept with. I'd buy them whatever they wanted because I knew I was using them. But this time it's different. I really think I have feelings for this person." Ming tried his best to convey with his eyes what he was lacking in his words.

Wayo looked at his best friend in the world, he seemed tired and lost. Two things the tall, dark and handsome man rarely ever showed. Maybe this time, he really was in love. "Falling in love is easy," he said simply, "It's staying in love for a long time that's the hard part. You fall in love with a gesture, a look, or a word said to you."

Ming shifted uncomfortably on his chair. He sighed again, and wondered how many seconds he was loosing off his life. There was an old saying, 'you loose 10 seconds of your life for each time you sigh.'

Wayo gave him another long look and continued. "Then as you learn more about the person you fell in love with, it's the small details. You find out that they're kind, or that they cover parts of who they are to protect themselves. They are actually shy when people think they're outgoing, or they love animals. That sort of thing. And you really start to love them more. Then it's too late. You're hooked."

Wayo shifted and rolled on to his stomach so he wouldn't have to look at Ming. "I'm screwed, Ming. I was voted by my class to be the moon rep. And do you know who was last year's Moon of the Year?"

Ming began to laugh. They started as small giggles, and because of the forlorn look on his friend's face, quickly turned into deep belly laughs that shook the small dorm room. Also, thanks to his sad little friend, an idea had developed in his twisted brain to forward his courting of Kit! He couldn't wait to put it into action.

Ming stood up, walked over to poor Yo, and slapped his ass that poked up in the air. "I'm leaving. Thanks for cheering me up."

"Hmmph...." Wayo no longer had the energy to answer. All this love talk had only driven home how lonely he was. He could talk about being happy to look from afar at his true love but deep inside he knew it was just a load of crap. To admit it out loud though, would mean his death at the hands of this treacherous best friend. 

"Oh," Ming whistled, "We have the first moon meeting at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow morning. I know you, Yo! Don't be late." With a slam of door, he breezed out as quick as he breezed in.

"Oh my god," thought Wayo, "And the Sciences department expect me to win against Ming? I haven't a chance!" He banged his head repeatedly against his bed until he felt sleepy (which didn't take long and fell asleep.