Chapter Forty Two - Part Two

"What a wild thing you still are, my love." the female voice told her, and somehow Luz knew she was the only one hearing the next part of the speech. "I knew you would figure our little secret out, but let the truth leave your lips and I will kill everything you hold dearest".

Luz knew the truth, but it still hurt to know what evil really looked like.

The future was changeable. Unlike the past or even the present, it couldn't be woven into a completed artwork. It was too complex, too fast. But if you did have access to such visions, and knew all the different paths that every single man or woman on earth could take ... the future could be built.

The mist people had seen Sarah's birth even before her conception. They had seen the potential in her idea and how it could be adapted to build metal bodies. Every choice, every murder, every path-changer sent into the world had all been for this, so that a single child could be born and used as a pawn. The choices had seemed random at the time, sometimes allowing the world to evolve for the better, but were actually only a really intrigated plan.

The immortals were beings of magic, and as such, the mist people could touch and hurt them. But they had no powers over the mortals. The only dangerous thing for them was the immortals with guns pointed to their heads.

And then there was the other truth.

Luz turned and faced the immortal soldiers. -The gods you pray to are false. - she said, her voice unshaking. -The mist people are just using you to get new bodies and control the mortal world. Without you, they have no real power. -

The empty eyes stared blankly at her, pointed at the exile mark on her skin.

-You have to believe me! They just exiled us because we had started to learn the truth and they didn't want us to corrupt any more people. - she insisted.

The laugh shook the bunker once more.

"Daniel step forward" said the male voice.

What must have been Daniel the soldier did as he was ordered. The mist surrounded him, swirling into his full mouth and pointy nose. Luz shivered as the immortal's eyes became cloudy and he started talking with the mist people voice.

-Mortals, your gods salute you - he said, the magic in his words filtered through the ground, a pungent smell of flowers and forest covered the room.

-We are the power that guides you hands,

The mind that pulled your every strand,

The blessing you called upon your heads.

You have been the first chosen to serve, and for this will be spared.

The children of the mist will give you help, but of failure beware.

Cause we are kind only once

And death will follow defiance. -

Mist exited Daniel's mouth as he was speaking. A couple of mortals passed out, whilst other wetted themselves. Only the children had remained quieter, their eyes wide in understanding. The mist people were trying to brainwash them just like they did with them, and this time, without even any real power. It was all an illusion.

-So do you have to speak in rimes to be a godly presence or is that just a little extra you guys pulled for our benefit? - asked Mat. -Ok let me try ...

Mist people make me sick,

please let me give you a stick.

Put it into your metal ass

And I won't kill your sorry farts...

Or something like that, Isaac what do we think? -

-Pretty solid dude -

-Not to brag but I was third in the riming contest in kindergarden - he continued, stating something that could not be considered bragging by any definition of the term. Mat took a step in Daniel's direction.

"How DARE you" they said in unison. "We would have killed you already for twisting our child's mind, but now ... NOW we will make you suffer"

The mortals looked shocked, some of them enraged, others were still crying. Luz hoped they didn't really think the mist people were their gods. Then again, she had thought the same for Nature knows how long.

The girl released Mat's hand and turned herself into a human torch. The temperature in the room shifted again, becoming less freezing.

Jane took our her gun, and Isaac called upon magic. She almost froze in fear when he turned into a giant bear breathing heavily on her back. Luz hoped her adversaries would feel the same.

The mist people laughed without emotion and the immortal soldiers raised their weapon.

Luz smiled wickedly and jumped into hell.

....

Author's note: Today double posting because I forgot to do that yesterday! #Soz