Chapter Thirty Six

Luz

-Shit shit shit - cursed a voice above her. -She is doing it again! Please Luz, if you can hear me, STOP dissolving ok? Isaac is doing what he can but he cannot fix you if you are not physically here. -

The girl opened her eyes and all she could see was black dots. She could not move her arms, and she wasn't really sure she had any.

-Keep talking Mat, I can sense her better! - muttered Isaac's voice. He seemed in pain.

The girl was fighting to stay awake: she had to help her friend. But everything was so painful. Her abdomen felt like it was on fire, which shouldn't have been possible since she was immune to it.

-Oh ok uhm, Luz. Mathias here. - he said. -Interesting fun fact is that I actually remembered you, you know, from that time you saved as a baby? And I had like the biggest crush on you growing up. Like, drawing pics of you up in flames. Which was crazy cause I was only six months old when that happened and I could remember your face in excruciating detail. You were like a girl version on the Torch from the Fantastic Four. And to be completely honest, I still do have a little bit of a crush on you. Actually quite very much so since it turned out you are also a pretty badass human being. So please do not become a shadow, because that would make it very hard to ask you out. -

She had to wake up. That was the only way of telling him how lame that had just sounded. 

The ground was vibrating and spinning, but she didn't know whether it was just her head.

Isaac grunted in exhaustion. Whatever he was doing to keep her alive, it was draining him.

She stopped pushing the mist away from her body and pulled it into herself. The pounding in her head was like nothing she had ever experienced before. It was as if someone was trying to split her cranium in two with the shear force of a million bulldozers.

But that was still nothing compared to her abdomen.

With a last push, she became corporeal again and screamed.

-Hold her still - Isaac ordered.

Mathias held her arms and legs in places whilst Isaac extracted some tweezers from his pockets. He started pulling out bits of metal from her chest, her torso, her arms and oh Nature ... her abs, or what remained of them.

For a moment she wished she hadn't gotten her vision back. Bile raised up her throat at the sight of the wide gash that extended up to her chest. Blood and pus was oozing out of the wound like a river in flood. She didn't know she even had that much blood inside her, but she guessed it was not a good sign it was outside now.

Isaac was working wildly, one hand releasing magic into the wound, the other still handling the tweezers to avoid any more infections due to copper penetrating her skin.

-No Luz, no looking down. Look at the pretty face in front of you. - Mat said, sensing her gaining consciousness.

The girl bit her lip to prevent herself from screaming again. She could do this, but she needed magic.

-Not ... enough ... strength- muttered Isaac, sweat dripping down his brows.

Mathias' eyes were wide in fear, but he kept talking to her as if they were just having dinner in the safe house.

-It will be fine, Luz. Blood, pff that will come back eventually. You just hold on a little longer. -

The girl knew how to get that much magic, but she didn't know if she could get herself to a human body once more.

Something broke in her lungs and she cried in pain.

She had no choice, it was the only way.

-Let go Mat - she whispered, every word taking an immense effort. - Use the connection, pull me back. - she hoped he understood.

The girl let her fire heart take hold of her body once more. Her limbs turning to mist, she hear Isaac crying out her name.

Luz.