Chapter Seventeen - Part Two

All seats were taken, with the exception of one next to a large black woman. An old lady was standing up, barely holding herself to the edge of the seat.

Katie was tired, but she would not let the old woman stand in her stance.

-Would you like to sit Madame? - she asked politely.

The woman looked at her with hate, as if she was crazy to suggest such a thing.

-Not next to her- she replied with spite.

Only then it occurred to Katie that no matter how much time passed, stupid people would always walk on earth.

The black woman seemed embarrassed, almost considering getting up from her well deserved seat. Katie would not allow that.

-Feel free to stand then - her voice lost all sweetness as she sunk in the seat.

The woman next to her smiled as the old lady went straight to the conductor to complain about them.

-Thank you for your words young lady, most people don't even blink in front of injustice - she said.

-That's because most people are stupid - she answered. -The name is Katie, Katie Thomson by the way. -

The woman looked at her with wide brown eyes. -Katie Thomson? The secretary of chief Biller, Katie Thomson? -

-In blood and flesh - she said proudly. Was that a correct expression even if her blood wasn't actually blood?

The woman took her hands with hers. -You must help me! - she whispered looking around. -Someone has taken my child! He was just a babe, no more than a few months old and some man in a black coat took him from me! I tried complaining at the police department but .... but they never let me through. They said I imagined it! -

Her eyes were now tearing up. -But maybe if the question came from someone like you, they would listen! -

Katie didn't know what to say. The fact was that they would listen to her, but their investigation was bound to fail. The child would long be gone amongst the immortals before the mother could reach him.

-I am in charge of things like this happening- It was only an half-truth. She had been charged with one of the missing children investigations. If the chief had found out about her actions, she could lose her job. Not that she minded that much, she would have to leave in a couple of years anyways. -If you come with me I can collect some more information and offer you the help of other detectives. -

The woman was about to burst into tears. Katie felt so much pain in her heart, wondering how she could keep it all together. She blinked and a line of lights came out of her heart, stopping at one millimetre from her. She knew that the woman was about to make a choice.

Katie knew her answer as soon as her line invested her body in agreement.

-Thank you so much - she said simply.

Katie led the woman, Guenevier, down the alley where she was living with her friends. If she was surprised to see a well known member of the police department living in the dodgiest part of the town, she did not show it.

Katie dropped a coin to the homeless guy sitting in front of her building and unlocked the heavy old door.

There was no elevator, so they had to climb five flights of stairs up to the tiny apartment. The cold wind was singing through the windows, making her hands shaky. She greeted her probably-a-drug-dealer neighbour Tom, and knocked on her own door. She smiled apologetically at Guenevier, who looked like she had just entered a horror story without her consent.

-One second! - screamed Isaac in panic. She had never heard his voice so full of concern before.

-It's Katie, open up! - she knocked again.

A rumble of chains and locks later, a very shirtless Isaac opened the door. His dark hair framing his sweating forehead, making him look like a Roman soldier who had just finished slaying a lion in the Colosseum.

He smiled widely at Guenevier, who was now blushing.

-Tell Katie to come back later! - screamed Andre behind him, wearing his male form for the day. As soon as he peaked over the door, he also greeted the woman with a smile. -Oh, sorry, didn't know we had company. Lovely to meet you Madame. -

Katie narrowed her eyes. -You guys were doing it. -

Even without the light threads she could tell the two had been intertwined.

-No! - shouted Isaac embarrassed.

-On the couch - agreed Andre laying his head on Isaac's shoulder. 

Katie couldn't help by smiling.

-Well, put your pants back on, we have a child to find. -

...

Author's note: And if you like the story, do not forget to live a like! It helps the book being seen by other people!