Chapter Fourteen

Marine

Paris was a living painting.

For someone who loved art as much as Marine, she could not avoid being amazed by the city of love. The women's dresses were so delicate, the finest cottons colours of the softer pastel colours, the men's hats, the violin music in the streets.

If she could chose one place where to spend her immortal life, this could be the one.

Her and Jane were walking arm in arm by the rue de Londres, looking for a tobacconist where to get newspapers. Her ID was heavy in her small purse, but she hid her fear of being discovered by the police.

They hadn't find a way to replace their identities in twenty years, running from city to city in incognito, getting only jobs that did not require much truth. If a policeman had seen her picture and read that she was 38, they would have outright laughed in her face.

Even twenty years later, she had no intention to go back to prison.

She fixed her pastel green dress from crests and continued looking for a newspaper stand. Jane pinched her arm with a fake smile of her face.

-Stop looking so guilty, behave like you belong, Marine - she ordered.

She replied with an equally fake smile. - But we are guilty. -

The Eiffel Tower shadowed the road in the most peculiar way, making the flowers of the same colour on the balconies darker and brighter at the same time. Marine wished she had been there to watch mortals building the impressive construction. She usually didn't like buildings that ruined the natural landscape, but the tower was just impressive she could not avoid to stare at it every five steps.

-Amazing work of engineering, isn't it? - said a voice at their backs.

The first thing that Marine noticed was how the two young men that approached them were weirdly dressed. Both of them attractive, both smiling and shimmering with hope that came with young age. They were wearing a pair of long brown trousers and a loose white shirt than hung out of their pants in the messiest way. Their lazy outfit was compensated by their beautiful blue eyes and wild blondish hair.

They spoke French with a strong accent, but Marine couldn't place where they were from. England maybe?

Marine gifted them a sensual smile and nodded.

-Terribly complex to build I imagine, the foundations must have taken years to build over the solid soil able to hold such weight, plus the ... - Jane pinched her once more to shut her up.

She let out a fake laugh. -Oh apologies monsieur, my sister just meant it is a very pretty tower to look at. -

Marine frowned but went along with her lie. A woman that chatted engineering with a random man in the streets was bound to attract attention.

-No problem at all ladies - he said with a grin. —We were just wondering if two such beautiful girls as you are would like to join us for a dance later tonight. We are not staying for long, sailing tomorrow for home and wanted to see some more of the city of love. -

The spark of desire in his words was pretty indicative of what the boy really wanted from them. Marine would have refused him outright, but he mentioned something about sailing somewhere. His clothes now made more sense as a sailor outfit.

It had been six months that they were trying to leave town without success. The girl hadn't flirted for information since she left Olivia's mask behind, but it couldn't hurt to try again.

She leaned forward and touched one of the sailors arms with her hand. -For sure, shall we say at nine after supper? Le danceur is meant to be the best place for dancing in the whole Paris. -

Jane moved to her ears. -Nice pick. - she whispered. She threw her hair back and started chatting to the other sailor until they agreed where to meet and learned some more about their home.

After saying their goodbyes, the two immortals practically run to the newspaper stand and grabbed as many as they could without reading.

They lunged inside their countryside house, just to stare at two wide eyed Andre and Isaac.

Still out of breath, but full of hope, Marine screamed of joy.

-Guess has to just found four tickets to the land of opportunities? - asked Jane.

Marine left the pointless newspaper on the floor. -Pack you suitcases darlings, we are moving to New York. -