Chapter Twenty Six

Emily

Chicago's pizza tasted like fake cheese and fried oil.

As Emily took another bite, she thought she would have been better off eating the pizza container for the amount of calories she was eating.

Her college friends would have killed her for a statement like that. She looked at their smiles as they took several more slices from the common table.

It was three of them doing an internship in the Chicago police department, all Chicago born and raised. Except her.

This mask had been one of the easiest ones yet. Emily had had no problems joining the little students group and was asked as little questions as necessary. As it turned out, most people liked to talk more than they liked to listen, and Emily's personality was just right for that.

That was how, just two days after their arrival, she had been invited to join a small birthday party celebration at the police station.

The birthday girl was a thirty years old policewoman who had made the department her family. The woman kept saying "hi!" And "lovely to see you!" To everyone, swirling from person to person like a dancer. When she came to Emily, the woman hugged her like an old time friend and told her to ask whatever favour she needed.

-I have heard you were assigned to the psycho murderer cases! - she gasped. -So much work for a student! If you want I have some leads on my desk, feel free to look through them! -

The girl tried to keep her emotions under control and smiled back patiently. Emily would have not run off to the office to grab the documents.

She waited another few minutes, talked to a couple more people and then said goodbye to her student friends with an excuse.

The news was taken sadly.

-No! You must stay a little longer next time! I don't care if your flatmate needs help with setting up internet! - complained the guy. His name was probably Michael, or Tom. Emily should have really paid attention considering the dude had the most evident crush on her.

He leaned in and hugged her for a second too long.

-I agree! - continued the girl. - And bring Isaac along too. I wouldn't mind getting to know him a bit better. -

Michael/Tom rolled his eyes and let her go. Emily smiled politely, but didn't mention that Isaac was in a very committed relationship with her pregnant friend. Some dreams were better left uncrushed.

Chicago at night was not the most reassuring place to walk around alone. But she had lived through the Black Death, the Great Wars and sharing her bathroom with lactose intolerant Isaac after enchilada night, so she wasn't so easily scared.

She kept her eyes low as she crossed the streets. The tall dark buildings didn't do much to lighten up the environment. She held tight the documents she had taken from the woman's office about the Chicago murders. A couple of people whistled at her, whilst others offered her drugs.

Chicago wasn't that different from any of the other cities she had lived in. Everywhere had a dark side that wasn't shown in post-cards.

Her coat covered her legs up to her boots despite the warmest days of summer approaching. She still hadn't had the time to unpack all of her clothes.

Her building was located in the northern part of the city, maybe twenty minutes walking away from the police station. She climbed the stairs two by two, her heart pounding wildly. She was not a fan of darkness. It reminded her too much of a prison cell.

Emily's shoulders relaxed only when she stepped inside the light living room, finding her friends occupied in tidying activities. Isaac was still searving Andre the silent treatment, but that didn't stop him from helping his pregnant partner everytime she had to lean or grab something heavy. Jane was nowhere to be seen, but the girl guessed she had a night shift at the hospital.

-Mat was asking for you before - said Andre sweeping. -Something about a missing cable, I don't really know ... I don't speak nerd. -

A comment like that would have made her laugh in the past, but Emily's heart was still heavy with her friend's revelation.

The girl walked to Mat's room, the sound of banging and beeping covering her steps.

He was not wearing a shirt, exposing his toned back to the dim flickering light of the screens. His brown skin was covered in grease and sweat, as if he had been working on rebuilding his machine for hours.

-Have you eaten? - she asked, making him drop the screwdriver he was holding.

He turned towards her, green eyes bright in the darkness.

-Oh hey Luz, you scared me there. -he said with a grin. - Yeah don't worry I had breakfast ... yesterday ... probably. Have you seen the AUX cable that used to connect a Monitor 1 to Set 14? I think I might have put it in your underwear bag. -

Considering he could not forget stuff, he had most definitely put it in her underwear bag. She wasn't sure if it had been a calculated joke or a simple necessity given how packed his own bags were.

Emily tossed him a loaf of bread she had grabbed from the kitchen.

Mat rolled his eyes. -Told you it wasn't necessary - but he took a blissful bite of the bread. - You seem pretty hungry yourself, or is that just because you are looking at me? -

Emily looked away instantly from his naked chest. She hadn't realised she was staring. There had been a small tattoo on his right bicep and she was trying to read what it said.

-A chicken wing would have more meat on - she objected.

-But probably wouldn't be as spicy. - he winked.

She covered her laugh with a cough and shifted her attention to the small bags of supplied she had brought over from Los Angeles. Mat returned to fixing whatever he was doing and left her to her own work.