chapter nineteen

I woke up to the bright light of the sun reflecting onto my face. It was a weekday, meaning I had to get up early and prepare myself for school.

My eyes squinted from the shining of the sun, making me roll onto my stomach and hide my face in the pillow. Meanwhile, my annoying alarm still going off.

Katherine barged into my room. "Jeez that alarm is so annoying!" She turned it off and crossed her arms. "You realize you don't have to set three alarms every single morning."

I rolled my eyes and peeled off the blankets. "Yeah well I'd fall back asleep and be late if I only had one." I mumbled as I sat up from bed and wiped the sleep away from my eyes.

"That doesn't make sense." She replied and began to leave my room.

"Oh, I wanted to talk to you about Alex." She added.

"What about him?" I stood up out of my bed, my feet coming in contact with the warm carpet floor. I yawned and lifted my arms above my head, getting a good stretch to wake myself up.

"Remember you guys were cuddling? Are you and Alex dating?"

"No, we're not."

"Then why were you cuddling him?

"I don't know."

"Are you gay?" Katherine wondered.

"No." The topic of this conversation caused me to be at a very high level of anxiousness.

"Oh okay, Alex is right?"

"Yeah."

"Do you think he likes you?"

"Why are you asking so many questions?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

Katherine shrugged her shoulders. "I dunno."

"Okay, well I'm going to get ready for school, go please."

Once Katherine was gone, I took a shower like I do every morning. Then got into my outfit. I combed my hair into the style I always liked, middle parted. I was wearing a black graphic t-shirt with black jeans that had a few rips here and there. My black mail polish matched my outfit.

•••

I drove to school on my own today, Alexander got a drive from his mother. Finally, I arrived at the doors of the loathed building that gave me stress everyday.

There was my baby, standing by his locker. Again, he was on his tiptoes reaching his reading book from the top shelf which made me chuckle and walk over to him. "Good morning." I said as I took his book down for him, placing it in his tiny hands.

"Good morning." He half-grinned and fit the book into his blue backpack, zipping it shut.

Alex tossed his backpack onto his narrow shoulders and began to walk down the hallway with me. "Did you get a good sleep?" He asked.

"Yeah, did you?" I smiled.

"Mhm! Can we sit together at the assembly?"

"Since when was there an assembly?"

"Umm, since last Wednesday, silly." He giggled.

"Oh, I'll see you soon then."

He nodded, his eyes on me with a wide smile locked across his baby face.

•••

After first class started, we were called down for an assembly ten minutes after the bell. I made my way downstairs with my class and met up with Ben midway. The two of us grouped with more of our friends, but my eyes were only on the look out for Alexander. I saw him grouped with his own class, his head turned from side to side looking in different directions, making me believe he was looking for me.