chapter ten

~Tuesday October 27th, 2015~

Today is my fifteenth birthday. I turned on my phone to see a flood of story mentions and texts wishing me a happy birthday, along with a missed call from Alexander. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, calling him back after I unlocked my phone. It took him a few seconds to answer, but he did.

"Hello?" His small voice said over the phone. I smiled when I heard him.

"Good morning" I said with a groggy morning voice.

"Good morning sleepy head, happy birthday!" Alex said in a giggle.

I yawned and rolled onto my back holding the phone up to my ear. "Thank you."

"I was wondering if we could go get breakfast this morning? It would be my treat." He offered.

"Oh, yeah sure. How about I meet you at your house in a half hour, then we'll head over there together?" I replied.

"Okay! See you soon then?" He asked.

"Yeah, bye Alex." I said, feeling a smile join my face.

"bye!"

Alex hung up the phone and I got out of bed. I took shower like I do every morning to wake and clean up.

What happened yesterday made me realize that I might like Alexander in a way that is more than just a friend. When he was scared, he hid himself into my arms, he wanted me around him and wanted me to be there to protect him and make him feel safe. Around Alexander, my world becomes a little less dark. My heart feels connected to him in a way and it's hard to distance myself.

However, I don't know how things would work. I don't feel comfortable with myself and I almost feel sick to my stomach when I think about my feelings deep down. My Mom and Katherine have no idea that there's a slight possibility of me turning out gay, neither do my friends. On top of that, I have no desire to say anything at all. I'm embarrassed of it.

If my Dad was still here and knew I was interested in a boy, that would be the end of me.

After I finished getting dressed for the day and brushed my hair and teeth, I walked downstairs to the main floor. The family room was decorated with a few balloons and streamers, and there were gifts sitting on the glass coffee table.

"Happy birthday Richie!" Katherine said as she ran up to me and gave me a big hug.

My mother walked over to us with a big smile across her face, wrapping her arms around her two children. "Happy birthday, love."

"Thank you." I said, giving them both a group hug.

My mom picked up a present and handed it to me. "I know you usually wait until after school to open gifts, but I want you to open this one now." She said.

The size of the box was small and squared. It was wrapped in golden wrapping paper with a small silver bow on the top. "What is it?" I asked.

"Open it and see." She smiled, excited to see what my reaction would be.

I sat down on the couch and peeled off the tape that held the wrapping paper together. Katherine sat beside me and hovered her face over the gift. "I can't see the box, Katherine."

"Oopsies." She moved her head away and a short laugh came out of her mouth.

I took the wrapping paper off, which then showed a small black box and took off the lid. I was speechless. I stared at the small item that laid flat inside of the box with my mouth dropped open a small bit.

I looked at my mom. "This isn't a joke right?"

She had a wide smile on her face. "No, it's not a joke hun."