6

(Ashton's P.O.V.)

Just like that, she was gone. The door closed and silence fell over the house.

I walk down the rest of the stairs and join everyone in the living room. I sit back down on the couch, and stare at the floor. I'm pissed at myself because I didn't do anything. I just stood there and stared at her. No matter how beautiful she was, I let her walk out. I could've screamed, and yelled, and pulled her back. But I didn't. I did absolutely nothing.

"Ashton, it's gonna be okay," Aubrey's soft voice fills the silence.

"What is going to happen to her when she gets home. I don't- I can't- I-I- I'm-" I try to speak, but it turns into sobs.

"I failed her. I let her get away. I let her go with that horrible woman. God knows how that car ride is going right now. I wanted to help her, I need to help her," I cry.

"Ashton, she's gonna be okay. She's a strong girl, but she breaks sometimes. You'll see her again and she'll be alright. Her mother has always been strict, she's also a devoted catholic, so hearing her sweet little daughter say things like that hurts her. She doesn't know how to let out her anger other than physical violence. Dylan is going to be fine-" she tries to reassure me, but it doesn't work.

"How do you know that?" I shout, turning my head to face her, "how do you know she's going to be fine? She's suicidal and now she's going back into the house! You won't be there to stop it! Who knows what she will do! It's all my fault!" I throw my head into my hands.

"Hey, let me talk to him," I hear Luke say calmly.

I feel Aubrey's presence leave, and Calum-I'm guessing- leads her out the door. Michael is still outside and I don't think he's coming back in.

"Listen, I just met her yesterday, but from what I've seen: Aubrey's right. Dylan is probably the strongest girl I've met. She is sassy, and funny, and strong willed. Do you know what she told Michael when he first met her? She told him that he wasn't getting in her pants. She was hungover, probably worse than you and I could ever imagine. I don't know anyone who would stand up to their parent like that. She has this 'I don't care' attitude. And that is the hardest attitude to keep. She's tough man, I think she's gonna be okay, just like Aubrey said."

I am a little more calm than before, my heart is still racing.

"I just, I want her to be okay," I focus on Luke, making sure we have eye contact, "I felt something, Luke. When I saw her, it felt like everything froze. It felt like time stopped."

"Well, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but..."

"Luke, what?" I try to pressure him.

"Your eye has brown flecks in it."

"What do you mean my eye has brown flecks in it? My eye is brown, no shit it has brown flecks in it."

"No, Ashton. I know your eye is brown, I'm not blind. I mean, your blue eye has brown in it. But just like," he moves toward my face, "two, maybe three, flakes in them."

He moved back and widened his eyes.

"How long did you and Dylan look at each other... In the eyes?"

"Um, I-I don't know. Like three seconds?"

"Well that makes a lot of sense. Hang on."

Luke stands up and walks outside. I sit on the couch, waiting for someone to come back and explain what the hell is going on. Eventually, everyone comes inside and stares at me. But, someone is missing.

"Where's Aubrey?" I ask.

"She's going to Dylan's," Calum responds.