35

Hey just thought I'd warn you, this chapter is like 98% dialogue so yeah
---

(Ashton's P.O.V.)

Dylan hasn't texted me back for probably thirty minutes and I was beginning to worry. I'm sure she's still pissed that I looked through her pictures and videos of Harry. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel guilty about it. I'm currently sat in the line of the high school to pick up my sister. She didn't want to ride the bus home and I sure as hell didn't blame her. I've been sitting here for ten minutes because Lauren didn't tell me when school let out. I should probably know, but it's been two years and I honestly don't give a shit anymore.

I'm drumming along to 'Ride' by Twenty One Pilots and then the song stops. I stop drumming and look at my phone. The song wasn't even over. When I look at the screen, I see an unknown number at the top. I slide my finger across the bottom, answering the call.

"Hello?" I didn't usually get calls from people I didn't know.

"Ashton?" It was a woman.

"Yes, may I ask who's calling?" I say, leaning back into my seat.

"Oh thank god you've answered," just by this one statement, I know who it is. It's Gwen Carter. And by the sound of her voice, something isn't right. "It's Dylan's mother."

"Hi, what's up?" I can't help but feel the panic rising in my chest.

"Oh, um. I don't want to tell you this but," there is a pause, "Dylan is in the hospital."

The moment I hear the words, the doors of the high school swing open, students leave the building, and I feel numb. My lips part in disbelief and a chill runs down my spine.

"Wha-what do you- why?" I can barely speak. There are too many possibilities running through my head, none of them good.

"I don't know why, but we are at South View and her doctor needs you to come."

"Her doctor? Like, her doctor doctor, or her therapist doctor?"

A gasp comes from the other line and I know I've said something I shouldn't have. "How do you- never mind. Can you please come here as quickly as possible? It's urgent."

"I um, I'm picking up my sister now. So after she comes ou-" right before I finish the sentence, my sister appears in the front seat and closes the door. "I'm on my way."

"Thank you so much, Ashton."

"Of course, I'll be there as soon as I can." My sister gives me a quizzical look but I just wave her off.

"Thank you again."

"Mhm, bye."

"Bye."

I pull out of the parking lot and onto the main road. I lock my phone and place it in the cup holder in between my sister and I.

"Um, where are we going?" Lauren asks.

"The hospital."

Her eyes widen and he leans forward slightly in her seat. "The hospital? What, why?"

I honestly don't know. "Just, soulmate stuff." I'm trying to stay calm for her sake. I don't want her to see me freak then think she should too. This situation doesn't involve her - except for the fact that she's with me - so she shouldn't worry about it.

"Is Dylan okay?" She's panicking. Welp, there goes that plan.

"I think so, yeah."

"Then why are we going to the hospital?"