𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

IN BLUE

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
𝘰𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘴

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

As the weeks progressed, none of the pair had heard from each other and maybe that would be for the best. Although, it was visible that both parties were taking it very differently.

Starting with the Leicester City defender who had a proven a hard time to bounce back from his injury. At least this was the reason everyone had put it down to.

"Chilwell, a word." BRENDAN RODGERS, the Leicester City manager called sternly, in front of all the Leicester boys among the training session, scaring the skin off them all.

"Just a second, gaffer." Ben looked up at the older man, who's facial expression showed somewhat annoyance. "Just tying up the lace of my boot."

"Now." The older man said louder, with the defender doing exactly what he was told, abandoning his unlaced boots. "Come take a seat in my office."

"You'll be fine." James patted him on the back as he went to join Brendan off the turf.

Brendan was quite often more a cheery character more than he let on, behind the scenes at least with the lads. Although, where needed his way of working with the boys could be seen as more 'harsh' but the team knew it the hard work would pay off and that their manager was always firm but fair. With it being out of character for the manager, Ben was in for a treat.

"What's the matter, gaffer?" Ben looked slightly confused at his boss, who took a seat in front of him. "Am I in trouble?"

"Don't 'gaffer' me, Ben." He warned sternly. "I think it's time we have this much overdue chat, with concerns to recent games and your recovery." Making Ben lay his head flat on the table. "With some of this matter building up behind the injury, this isn't a bit of you."

"How bad have the recent stats been?" Ben gulped asking the question, knowing the answer wasn't going to be good.

"Take a look for yourself." The manager offered, with Ben now holding his head in his hands. "I think it's time we start taking action against this, starting with a warning. If things don't improve in the coming weeks then you'll find yourself back here." With the footballer nodding in agreement.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Moving onto Tansy, she was doing rather well for herself. She was above and beyond with her University work and wasn't far from finishing her final year.

"Another question that she's gotten right." Another girl in the same course as Tansy scoffed and rolled her eyes, making the girl next to her giggle.

"Thinks she's such a smart ass." The other girl shook her head. "Isn't she the one with the footballer boyfriend who cheated on her? In that case, I can see why."

"Yes, she is the one." Tansy butted in to their conversation from behind, making both the bitching girls jump. "If you're going to talk about me, at least do it properly."

"Oh, no." The girl panicked, forcing a smile. "We were on about that Jennifer girl at the front, weren't we?"

"Yeah, her." Her friend jumped in on the lie after being caught out. "Such a brain box, that girl."

"There's nobody called Jennifer in this course, hun." The blonde smirked to herself. "You pair should still be in high school the way you gossip."

"I can hear you, Miss Meadows." The lecturer looked over in the blonde's direction. "Talking must mean your finished, are you?"

"I am indeed, Miss." She smiled back confidently. "I was just waiting for further instructions from yourself!"

"Take your work over and I'll have a check over, then." To which Tansy did and the lecturer was most pleased. "This is why your such a joy to teach, you only keep getting better, Miss Meadows."

"Thank you." She smiled back, making the two other girls roll their eyes once more.

"Just think, one more placement and your practically qualified. Wherever you go onto next will be very lucky to have you." The elder woman complimented the blonde. "And I seriously mean that."

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Despite his best efforts to improve, they sadly weren't enough. One match day, Ben came to the sudden realisation where he was left out of the entire squad.

"There's got to be some sort mistake, I'm not even on the bench!" Ben whined in the Leicester City changing room.

"I'm sure it's just a simple mix up, go and talk to Brendan about it." James patted his best friend on the back for some reassurance. "You'll be in the back wall again before you know it."

"It better be a mistake." He shook his head before realising that it was probably related to the conversation he and Brendan had a few weeks back. "I wouldn't have been called in otherwise, right?"

"Come on, lads! Out you go for training, Chilwell stay back." Brendan ordered, with everyone leaving the room apart from him and the defender.

"Have you made a mistake in the lineup? I don't understand what this is all about, I've tried to improve my performance in the last few weeks." Ben furrowed his brow in confusion at the older man.

"There's no mistake, I'm afraid." The manager broke the news to him. "We've noticed the improvement but it simply doesn't cut our standards. Unfortunately, your place in the team is now very competitive and there are others who are proving better for it"

"What does it mean for me then? What am I doing here if I'm not playing at all?" Ben pretended that none of that had hurt, putting on a brave face.

"We've made the decision to put you in with the under 21's team for the time being." The Irishman explained. "This isn't a punishment at all but this way it still gives you regular game time and for you to continue to build on your fitness, as well as some of the young lads to gain some experience off of you."

Ben nodded in agreement hearing these words, knowing that it was probably for the right reasons. "I understand, thank you."

"If you need anything else, you know where my office is." He patted the younger boys back. "Good luck with your next game."

━━━━━ *✭˚・゚✧*・ ゚ author's note
i'm back after another little hiatus (i'm really sorry!) but my updates should be back to regular soon, with hopefully two updates a week.

i know this chapter is a wee bit boring but the next few are very exciting (or so i think at least)   and i've enjoyed writing them.

i also have a new book out on the first of november so keep your eyes peeled for this, it's something a little different from me!

♡ all my love, b x