When Opportunity knocks

Start from the beginning

“De unless you’re going to give him your sweet stuff on his office chair then there is no reason to be fixing yourself up.”

“Oh my God Loni you’re a pervert.” Dessiah scoffed walking away.

“Aww thank you sweetheart I try honey, I try.” Loni smiled staring at her computer.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Dessiah stood on the elevator making her way to the 23rd floor and nervousness was slowly creeping up. She tried breathing to relax herself but nothing was working so she started singing to herself which for some reason always worked. She started humming Tamar let me know since it was the first song that came to mind and the last song playing in her car this morning. Stepping off the elevator she walked the long pathway to his secretary’s desk. The 23rd floor was something special with floor to ceiling windows all around and the smell of fresh roasted coffee was always the aroma. They always had the best of everything which is why she didn’t understand why he took her coffee this morning. Coming to the desk she spoke.

“Hi Lisa I’m here for...”

“Yes Mr. Tiles is expecting you go right in he’s waiting.” Lisa smiled.

“Am I late?”

“Actually you’re five minutes early which is good because you know how he is about tardiness.”

“Okay thanks.” Dessiah walked slowly as if she were walking to her doom.

“Dessiah?” Lisa called out from behind her.

“Yea?”

“Everything will be fine remember what’s for you is for you no matter what.” Lisa said reassuringly. She noticed Dessiah’s worry.

“Thanks.”

“No problem good luck honey.”

////////////////////////////////

Dessiah knocked on the tall maple wood door when a strong voice told her to come in from the other side. Shandon stood behind his desk with his jacket off and his muscle build was evident. His sleeves were rolled up and a tattoo peeked out on his forearm. Dessiah licked her lips and tried to get the thought of him that way out of her mind. Damn Loni was really making her take notice of him.

“Mrs. Hawkins have a seat.” She took to one of the chairs available. He stared at her for a moment and said nothing which freaked her out even more.

“Mr. Tiles you wanted to see me..” As if she pulled him out of a daze he spoke turning his back to her.

“Yes, Ive looked at your file and seen that you started here as a Janitor.”

“Yes I did.”

“I also seen that you have a master’s in business marketing with over eight years’ experience.”

“Yes, sir I do.” She confirmed

“So I’m trying to understand why?”

“Why?”

“Why you’re only an assistant?” Dessiah couldn’t understand why his statement came off offensive.

“This was the first position that was available when I applied.”

“Dessiah you have been here little over a year and numerous leadership positions have come available so try me with something else. Save the lame ass excuses for Sims.”

“I don’t know maybe I’m just comfortable where I am.”

“Well I’m all about living out of your comfort zone or at least recently I am. So that is going to be in your favor. I want you to handle our new marketing campaign and business strategy for the opening of stores overseas. We are excited about spreading stores beyond American waters but we feel that there is something that is missing to set us apart from their culture and competitors. You will be working directly with me and others assigned to this project.” Dessiah’s mouth dropped. Shandon came around and sat in front of her on the edge of his desk. “Now don’t worry there will be a forty thousand dollar increase in your salary. As well as petty cash to help with your transition, a company car, and apartment.”